• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root what else besides CityID can be uninstalled without ill effects?

There's really no reason to DELETE them. I just created a directory /system/app.disabled moved everything I didn't want into there.

Doing so avoids the situation whereby you decide you want to put something back and have to go asking around for APKs. ;)

It is always good practice to make backups of files before you delete them. I did not follow this rule, I also had very few ill effects.(None after I did a reset). I was a very lucky that nothing went very wrong.

Upvote 0
All I have just rooted my phone and got rid of City ID... How do I go and get rid of the other applications?

I think this has been quoted a few times. But one more wont hurt I guess. :)

I killed FootPrints, FriendStream, and Peep. with no ill effect so far....

I did while root in recovery:
/system/bin/rm /system/app/HtcFootprints.apk
/system/bin/rm /system/app/FriendStream.apk
/system/bin/rm /system/app/HtcTwitter.apk

Continue repeating this with the apps you no longer want. Just becareful, some of them are required to run other programs.

Upvote 0
Anyone else getting a permanent "refresh/sync" icon next to the location icon after removing some apps?

I removed FootPrints, Twitter, and FriendStream and now I have that icon that wont go away, :|

EDIT: looks like it was from FriendStream, I put the apk back in /system/app and the icon went away

just curious - did you have any accounts entered in? that might have something to do with it...

Upvote 0
Anyone else getting a permanent "refresh/sync" icon next to the location icon after removing some apps?

I removed FootPrints, Twitter, and FriendStream and now I have that icon that wont go away, :|

EDIT: looks like it was from FriendStream, I put the apk back in /system/app and the icon went away

I had this, the problem was that the Facebook Live Feed sync was enabled. This just ran into a refresh loop, i assume because it was trying to send the information to Friend Stream. Disable the Live Feed sync and you should be on your way.

http://androidforums.com/all-things...live-feed-if-you-uninstall-friend-stream.html

Upvote 0
wow, I'm jealous... I may have to do my first root with Android. Never had a reason to, but I really hate that CityID junk

I don't hate CityID but I think it sucks they put trail software on that can't be removed. Once I decide I don't want it and the trail is up they should let it be uninstalled. Who wants to answer a nag for years and years? Just silly and stupid.

Upvote 0
I don't hate CityID but I think it sucks they put trail software on that can't be removed. Once I decide I don't want it and the trail is up they should let it be uninstalled. Who wants to answer a nag for years and years? Just silly and stupid.

The nag goes away after like 10-14 days. I've yet to see it since after that period.

Upvote 0
The nag goes away after like 10-14 days. I've yet to see it since after that period.

I have not seen city id on my phone since the trial ended. Next question... if you root and decide not to remove cityid.. can you remove it later and/or will it screw up your phone if you do not remove it during the root process.

I am assuming it won't but since all the tutorials i have seen tell you to get rid of it...do you really need to?

Upvote 0
I have not seen city id on my phone since the trial ended. Next question... if you root and decide not to remove cityid.. can you remove it later and/or will it screw up your phone if you do not remove it during the root process.

I am assuming it won't but since all the tutorials i have seen tell you to get rid of it...do you really need to?

No you dont need to remove it, it isn't part of the rooting process. Just remember, if you do decide to remove it sometime in the future (before any progress is made with the NAND lock on the device) then you will need to go through the recovery steps up to and including pushing the update.zip to get back to an unlocked storage

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones