• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What happened to the Droid startup sound?

Moondoggy

I got a replacement Turbo last week from Verizon and I noticed that when the phone was upgraded from KitKat 4.4 to Lollipop 5.1 the phone no longer plays the startup sound if I restart the device. It played a sound before the upgrade but not afterwards. I've searched the internet and I find that most people that mention the startup sound find the startup sound to be annoying and want to know a way to get rid of the sound. I'm not terribly upset that the phone is silent when it boots but on the other hand I wonder what it was about the upgrade that caused the sound to disappear and further wonder if there's a way to get it back? The phone is not rooted and is a standard Turbo straight out of the box. Does anyone know anything about this and/or how I can get the sound back?

If you have the phone on silent when you restart it, it will not play the startup sound. Otherwise, if they ditched that annoying thing on startup, hallelujah! When I manually restart I always silence the phone first so I don't hear that stupid thing.

If you have the phone on silent when you restart it, it will not play the startup sound. Otherwise, if they ditched that annoying thing on startup, hallelujah! When I manually restart I always silence the phone first so I don't hear that stupid thing.

Sorry, I forgot to answer.

I would confirm that the phone is not on silent and then do a restart. If the phone is on silent and you restart, not having the sound is by design. (Imagine if you are at somebody's funeral or at a church service and you have your phone on silent. If your phone did a spontaneous restart for whatever reason, it would be awfully embarrassing to have the phone make that sound.)

Thanks,

I think that was the issue. I have the phone setup to suppress all calls between 10 PM and 6 AM unless it's from someone in my contacts list tagged as Family. Both times when I turned my phone off and back on it was after 10 PM and it was silent upon reboot. I restarted this morning and I did hear the startup sounds so everything is OK. Personally, the startup sound doesn't bother me but for those it does, it would be nice is there was a setting on the phone that allowed you to turn it on and off at will. Thanks for the reply.

There may ve confusion here because the method to silence the phone changed with 5.1.

Press Volume Up and the display shows a volume control and None/Priority/All

As a test set it to All with the volume all the way to the right then do a power off/power on. The absurd sound is still there.

Press Volume Up and set it to None ... power off/power on and the absurd sound is not there.

... Thom

OK. Thanks for the clarification. My volume control was all the way up and I haven't changed it today so I think the quiet time setting was probably causing it to be quiet.

Back
Top Bottom