• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What happens to Carrier settings?

rgs

Nov 10, 2010
Nova Scotia, Canada
I looked around quite a bit but haven't yet found out what happens to the carrier settings on the phone under About Phone such as the phone number listed, and the settings under network and phone identity after rooting and flashing a new custom ROM. It appears the rooting itself won't have any effect but will flashing a new custom ROM wipe them out? I want to continue to use Telus (my current carrier). Just want to get more room for apps.
Thanks,
Richard

That's interesting, Kamille. I bought this directly from Telus about a month ago. Phone says it's HSDPA. If I have a sim card, what does that do for me? Does it change the rooting procedure?
Whatever is listed in this forum will work on your phone as i followed the same instruction to root and flash my phone and I have a similar phone as you (bought it directly from TELUS).

HSPDA uses a sim card.

When you flash a ROM, the only thing you have to re-enter is the APN settings which you can find here. This is so that it can use TELUS's 3G network (for data). Everything else should be automatically picked up through the sim card (just like what EddyOS).

APN: sp.telus.com
No username/password
MMS APN: sp.telus.com
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mmsc
MMS Proxy: 74.49.0.18:80
Tethering APN: isp.telus.com

Upvote 0
Thanks very much, Kamille. That's great to know. I'm much relieved. Does that also mean I can use any ROM for the HTC Desire or do I have to search for a CDMA ROM? Regards, Richard
Your phone is not CDMA so don't use a CDMA ROM (not really sure if there's any). I believe most of the ROMs posted in XDA are for HSPA (unless its specifically says its for CDMA) so they should work fine for your phone.

TELUS doesn't really support their CDMA network in regards to new phones. All new phones are for their new HSPA network now (the sim based one).

Upvote 0
Thanks again, Kamille. I see we're fellow Canadians. We had a big storm here in Nova Scotia that knocked out the internet I'm on (a wireless one) so didn't get back on till today. Anyway, hearing from someone who's successfully done it with exactly the same setup and conditions is definitely encouraging. And I'm particularly glad to learn that the information on this site is good for Canadians too. It's the best site I've found. I was heading down the wrong path looking for US sites and CDMA phones. Hope you don't mind a few more questions. Did you make a Goldcard? And wondering what ROM you flashed. I'm leaning towards Leedroid at this point.
Regards,
Richard

Upvote 0
A lot of people will suggest that you make a goldcard (and its really easy) just in case something goes wrong. I know there's a TELUS RUU floating around somewhere so you can get it back to stock if something goes wrong.

But for me, I flashed a RUU update for Froyo (2.2) a few months before I rooted because I couldn't wait for TELUS. So I already made a goldcard prior to rooting. I suggest you do the same, it really wouldn't hurt and its a pretty easy task to do.

I kept hearing Leedroid was good but I haven't really checked any other ROM. But when I checked the thread for Leedroid's ROM in XDA forum, I noticed quite a few Canadians are using them so I went with it as well. If you want as close to stock as possible then teppic's ROM would be a good choice but the A2SD+ is an addon if you want it (not sure how you go about flashing it because the A2SD+ option is included in one of the version of Leedroid's ROM). I'm sure someone can help you here to flash teppic's ROM if you want that. So it really depends on what you like, I went with Leedroid's because of A2SD+ since its the main reason why I rooted.

Don't forget to backup the files you have on your SD card and also do a Nandroid backup and Titanium backup before you venture onto flashing.

Upvote 0
Not sure if teppics Rom supports cdma though. But did you say its sim based now?
Yes its sim based. I actually have 2 TELUS HTC Desire here and both needs a sim card.

rgs, if you really want to be 100% sure that your phone uses a sim card (which is HSPA phone and not CDMA), you can just take off the back cover of your phone and there should be 2 slots right below the battery. One is for the SD card and the other is for the sim card.

epoxn6.jpg

Reactions: rgs
Upvote 0
I've read your faq several times, Danfrance, and I'll be reading it several times more. All we noobies owe you many thanks for it.
And thanks for the photo and additional information, Kamille. My phone is definitely sim based like yours. I plan to root and flash this weekend. I'll look at both those ROMs before I do. Did you get an extra 512 megs for apps with A2SD+ or is it possible to get any more? 512 should be enough for me for awhile but I've been reading with interest about Data2ext. Guess it's not quite ready for people like me yet.
Regards,
Richard

Upvote 0
Did you get an extra 512 megs for apps with A2SD+ or is it possible to get any more? 512 should be enough for me for awhile but I've been reading with interest about Data2ext. Guess it's not quite ready for people like me yet.
Yeah I only did the 512MB additional storage as it seems to be quite popular. Didn't want to venture into other things since this is my first time rooting and flashing. Right now, I have 56 apps that I personally installed which is 154mb in total. My internal storage right now sits at 84mb free plus 212mb free from the A2SD+ partition. All the apps I have, I don't really use most of it, maybe like 5-6 apps that I use heavily.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones