• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What if S6 gets wet...

Enahmir

Android Enthusiast
So I saved 2 smaphones in the past that had gone wet.
3 days rice and half an hour in the oven...without back, battery or sim.

Now I wouldn't be able to do that anymore? 'cause can't get battery out the S6.

Yes graphic cards an my two smartphones. 150°C... The plastic and display can easily handle double...
But the battery? I don't know...

Yes rice helps most but for example with the note...it did turn on but screen went black after few minutes so we did the oven thing and it has worked almost 2 years without any problem and the screen never again had issues...'till we sold it for a new phone.

Old non smartphones like samsung and Nokia we just blow dryed but that's a bad idea nowadays.

Yes graphic cards an my two smartphones. 150°C... The plastic and display can easily handle double...
But the battery? I don't know...

Yes rice helps most but for example with the note...it did turn on but screen went black after few minutes so we did the oven thing and it has worked almost 2 years without any problem and the screen never again had issues...'till we sold it for a new phone.
You were very lucky.

First, I assume that you meant 150°F, secondly, no, a display is not going to be happy for long at that temperature and not at all for double. If you really did heat a Note at 302°F (150°C) for any length of time, you were beyond lucky. From our friends at Wikipedia, polycarbonate (used liberally in the Note) has a glass transition temperature of about 147 °C (297 °F), so it softens gradually above this point and flows above about 155 °C (311 °F). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate

The maximum safe operating temperature for most modern (not feature phone TN technology) LCDs is 150°F.

The maximum operating temperature of the first AMOLED screens was 185°F, they were quickly derated to that temperature for storage only - of just the panels. That's 85°C.

For the display alone, I stand by my warning that an oven at 150~200°F is not a good idea.

But as we're talking about the entire phone, and the S6 in particular -

http://phandroid.com/2015/03/24/how-to-open-samsung-galaxy-s6/

You begin disassembly with a blow dryer for a few minutes.

You all do as you think best on the oven thing. :)

It was 150°C...I live in Holland...did 2 notes II over half an hour that way.
Now I am not sure...have ı done it on 50°C? I can't find the site anymore...

Last edited:
It was 150°C...I live in Holland...did 2 notes II over half an hour that way.
Now I am not sure...have ı done it on 50°C? I can't find the site anymore...
50°C, 122°F, would be the temperature of running a wifi tether while gaming.

Not the greatest habit, but well within the screen safety margin and not such a big deal with the battery removed.

150°C would be near enough the mid-time roasting temperature for a lot of meats - and definitely harmful to plastic. :D Modern phones will automatically shut down long before reaching that temperature as a safety precaution.

I'll bet it was 50°C.

But - not sure I'd advise that with a fixed battery ok. ;)

I red the plastic could have over 200 or 275 degrees Celsius. Don't know exactly but it was way more.
150 keeps food only warm and it's a cold oven they say.

I red the plastic could have over 200 or 275 degrees Celsius. Don't know exactly but it was way more.
150 keeps food only warm and it's a cold oven they say.
Thermoset plastic can take a lot - not polycarbonate, as was used liberally in previous Samsung products.

Plastics are quite varied.

I'm having enough trouble with the plastic arguments, I'm going to pass on the cooking tips.

If you think I'm wrong, put your phone in an oven for a half hour at 300°F, or 150°C, and best of luck.

I don't suppose it would help to warn that if the battery hits the ignition point, it's going to burn like a blowtorch and probably ruin the oven - as well as release highly toxic gas harmful to your health.

Take care, have a great day! :)

/unsubscribed

Thermoset plastic can take a lot - not polycarbonate, as was used liberally in previous Samsung products.

Plastics are quite varied.

I'm having enough trouble with the plastic arguments, I'm going to pass on the cooking tips.

If you think I'm wrong, put your phone in an oven for a half hour at 300°F, or 150°C, and best of luck.

I don't suppose it would help to warn that if the battery hits the ignition point, it's going to burn like a blowtorch and probably ruin the oven - as well as release highly toxic gas harmful to your health.

Take care, have a great day! :)

/unsubscribed
That was my concern for my s6...that I can't remove te battery...
Really I've had 2 notes in the oven without battery, sim, sd, pen and back cover.
Worked great!

Well I'm just not letting this one become wet and my love has the note4 so no problem when that one falls in the toilet:)

Just as a side note to put some of the temperatures into context. 50°C is "hand hot" most adults would find water at 50°C uncomfortable to stick their hands into. Over 55°C is painful, over 60°C will scald you.

I wouldn't expose a lithium ion battery to any heat above 50°C, as for sticking an expensive piece of modern electronics into an oven - no way. If the battery went pop it might be more than the oven ruined. A major fire and all it's threats to life and limb could ensue.

'm just not letting this one become wet

An excellent philosophy. If it ain't IP-certified, or in a sub-aqua housing, keeping it way from water is by far the safest action.

I have seen a pc graphics card fixed in the oven.

Sure, but it hadn't been submerged in water had it? Curing a cracked solder problem on an Nvidia 8000-series graphics card is a bit different (I know, 'cos I've done it twice) to drying out a smartphone.

I
Sure, but it hadn't been submerged in water had it? Curing a cracked solder problem on an Nvidia 8000-series graphics card is a bit different (I know, 'cos I've done it twice) to drying out a smartphone.

I used to desolder transistors, resistors and tiny transformers from old FM "tyranny" radios by "baking" them. It's how I got started with electronics. I used the components to make small amplifiers and the like. I love the smell of boiling flux, which probably explains much. I wouldn't touch a modern day smartphone board with the finest of soldering iron bits and a high powered magnifying glass, I think the heat would cause too much damage to surrounding components, no matter even if your hands were rock steady.

My buddy and I went fishing last week and he missed the ramp coming back both of us ended up in the water chest deep. Our phones now mine worked still dripping wet( galaxy S5) his new galaxy S6 nothing that day or 2 days later, he took it to Verizon and they tried a machine that was going to dry it out well that didn't work. It's been 10 days and his brand new phone still doesn't work. If it get submerged I'm betting you'll be sending it in for service. Don't think I'll be trading up maybe the S7 will be water tight again

My buddy and I went fishing last week and he missed the ramp coming back both of us ended up in the water chest deep. Our phones now mine worked still dripping wet( galaxy S5) his new galaxy S6 nothing that day or 2 days later, he took it to Verizon and they tried a machine that was going to dry it out well that didn't work. It's been 10 days and his brand new phone still doesn't work. If it get submerged I'm betting you'll be sending it in for service. Don't think I'll be trading up maybe the S7 will be water tight again
S6 active is coming and will be waterresistsant.

Back
Top Bottom