• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What IS Rooting?

This may have already been answered but after using the search too many topics came up.

Can anyone explain to me what the term 'rooting' means? I have been using Nokias for years. So have never been on Android.

Also what sites are best for Apps? Free and paid?

Having root access to the OS allows you to manipulate every file. It allows you the opportunity to run, change and delete software that the manufacturer and/or provider didn't intend. The main intention off rooting is to remove the provider installed bloatware and the ability to flash roms/kernels other than the official releases. You don't need any sites for software, that's what the marketplace is for...unless you're talking warez which is forbidden here!

Has the Dell Streak been rooted yet? I'm getting mine with o2 and I'm sure (like Nokias) its going to be loaded with rubbish.
And about warez, nooo, I don't dabble in that stuff. And I'm sure I've opened this topic on the wrong area, apologies :D

Back
Top Bottom