• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What is the newest and most stable ROM?

Just wipe data and cache and then flash. After you are on a 2nd init ROM do not use bootstrap again. Always use ROM Manager or the reboot menu to get back into clockwork at that point. If you use bootstrap while on a 2nd init ROM you'll have to SBF.

lol learned that the hard way the other day trying to change from encounter to cm9. aldo learned how to sbf really quick

Upvote 0
well i will tell you something thats odd, the samsung droid charge is a unlocked phone, and it doesnt have cm7, omgb, omfgb, or anything to that nature, and probably wont

at least i think its unlocked...

so us DX users should feel great that we have all this goodness on our phones, cause the droid charge was just pushed to the side.

Upvote 0
I'm still running one of the CM7 nightlies (10 I think, lol) and it's kind of annoying that I can't connect to wifi, as well as some random other small problems. I really want to get CM9 though, as ICS looks incredible. Based on what I read above, I would have to SBF to GB .602 or .605, would I just download the appropriate files and SBF to that or would I have to SBF back to Froyo?

And how would CM9 go as far as battery life and the DX's physical buttons? And I take it there shouldn't be any problem copying all of my contacts, texts, and apps over to CM9?

Upvote 0
If you're already on GB (602/605) with 13P radio (settings... about phone... baseband version), should be no reason to sbf.

If you're on Froyo and not 13P radio, then yes, need to sbf with rsd lite so radio gets updated.

Just format data, format cache, wipe dalvik cache, flash rom, flash gapps, fix permissions (for good measure), reboot.

Upvote 0
Yeah, looks like I'm running 2.3.4 with 7P radio. Kinda annoying because almost all of my backups are running different 2ndinit ROMs on different kernels/radios lol. If this works out well though I'll probably just keep a backup of

1. Stock rooted .602
2. Working CM9

If so, I would be able to simply use ROMmanager to switch between them at will?

Upvote 0
7P radio is pretty old. You'll probably want to sbf with .602 or .605 to bring that up to date. I think you need to use RSD Lite to update the radio since (I believe) the Linux cd method doesn't update the radio. Just make sure you don't take any updates after sbf'ing or you'll be on .621, which will just cause more problems.

Once you sbf you can install CM9.

Google stores your contacts as long as you use the default privacy settings when you register each new rom.

There's a app that lets you load roms in "slots" on your sdcard, but you need a good 16 or 32 gb Sandisk class 4 card for that to work properly. I've never used (or wanted) it. Otherwise you can create a backup in recovery and reload a different rom.

Upvote 0
What's a "regular rom"?

Yes, I've done that more than once. I make lots of nandroids and have switched between CM9, MIUI and Gummy in the last couple weeks. If I want to try a new build, I'll update my TIBU and reload the last backup for that rom, update it and reload any missing apps from TIBU.

Gummy is good, pretty fast, but CM9, MIUI and Gummy share a lot of code. When something gets fixed in one rom, it soon shows up in the others. :D

Upvote 0
What's a "regular rom"?

Yes, I've done that more than once. I make lots of nandroids and have switched between CM9, MIUI and Gummy in the last couple weeks. If I want to try a new build, I'll update my TIBU and reload the last backup for that rom, update it and reload any missing apps from TIBU.

Gummy is good, pretty fast, but CM9, MIUI and Gummy share a lot of code. When something gets fixed in one rom, it soon shows up in the others. :D

regular meaning GB and not 2nit ROM. Or can I just switch back and forth between any Roms via clockwork?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones