• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is the Story on Google Photosphere for Droid Turbo?

Hi Guys-
I looked at several Youtube vids about using Google's Photo Sphere app to learn how to use it, so I know what it is supposed to look like.
When I enter the Playstore and try to Search for <Google Photo Sphere>, I am taken to Google Cardboard instead, which doesn't work the same and doesn't do the tilt thing. While there are a bunch of 360º panarama apps in the Playstore, I couldn't find any with a very high rating that do the full sphere.

My Droid Turbo is supposedly 5.1 and Google Cardboard loaded & ran OK, but still...

I haven't gotten my VR headset yet, it is delayed until after the holiday, which of course is when I wanted to take the spherical shots.

Can anybody recommend any of the other PhotoSphere making apps? Are they fully compatible with the Cardboard format? Are all those Photosphere vids on Youtube obsolete?

ahhhhhh! & now the site is down for maintenance...

I need a beer...

The Google Camera App has the Photo Sphere option. Have you tried that?
Hi, BW1-
That is the oddest thing; whenever I go to the Google Playstore on my Droid, and search for 'Google Camera', I am taken to 'Google Cardboard'. Scrolling around, I can't find any listing for Google's Camera or Photosphere. The default app is Motorola camera (I have also installed ABC Camera & M$ Hyperlapse.)

I have both 'Cardboard' and 'Cardboard Camera' installed and have taken shots with Cardboard Camera' app. It only has one option- to slowly rotate horizontally following an arrowhead.
The result is a 360º panorama, without the upper and lower sections of a Photosphere. The app shows no options and does not work with the Insten VR headset (no left/right view).

My Droid says it has 5.1, so I don't know what the problem is:confused:

Hi, BW1-
That is the oddest thing; whenever I go to the Google Playstore on my Droid, and search for 'Google Camera', I am taken to 'Google Cardboard'. Scrolling around, I can't find any listing for Google's Camera or Photosphere. The default app is Motorola camera (I have also installed ABC Camera & M$ Hyperlapse.)
I'm not sure why you have Play Store issues on your phone, but you can always use a computer browser logged in to the same Google account that you use for the Play Store on your phone to browse to and install apps to the phone. Go to https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.vr.cyclops on your computer and click "install" to have it install to your phone.

I no longer see the Google Camera app in the play store. I have Google Camera version 2.5.052 on my Droid Turbo and use it all the time. I'm sure you can search and find an APK download.

Embarrassed. I didn't even notice that the link I provided wasn't Google Camera.

The answer is one of two things:

- Google has inadvertently messed up the Play Store listing for the Google Camera app, so it's not showing up in the US
- Google has done this deliberately, meaning that they want users to use native camera apps (maybe?)

(The actual link is listed as "installed" on the web on my computer, because I have installed it on my phone in the past. If you have as well, it should be listed on the Play Store app on the phone in the "All" apps section.)

Back
Top Bottom