• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What ringtone are you using right now? (SMS)

Did anyone notice that the native music player actually has a the ability to take an mp3 on your phone and trim it down to make a ringtone out of it?

I just edited down I'm Shipping Up to Boston by Dropkick Murphy's for today. It is the song widely used in the movie The Departed for those that don't know. Good St. Patrick's day song.

I actually tried to tell a user about that when they were trying to figure out which ringtone maker to download from the market, but got the kind of treatment Mel Gibson got at the end of braveheart. Hopefully now that someone with more clout has said it they will listen. Thanks

Upvote 0
Well, my SMS tone is one of the default tones. But for GMail, it's from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. "Message for you, sir!"

EDIT: OTD, I noticed that. But it's only for MP3s, WAVs and such. Anything that is protected (read: anything you bought on iTunes) will not work though.

Just another reason in my list of 7 million, not to use iTunes. ;)

I actually tried to tell a user about that when they were trying to figure out which ringtone maker to download from the market, but got the kind of treatment Mel Gibson got at the end of braveheart. Hopefully now that someone with more clout has said it they will listen. Thanks

Lol @ clout

Upvote 0
Did anyone notice that the native music player actually has a the ability to take an mp3 on your phone and trim it down to make a ringtone out of it?

I just edited down I'm Shipping Up to Boston by Dropkick Murphy's for today. It is the song widely used in the movie The Departed for those that don't know. Good St. Patrick's day song.

when I go into menu it just has a "set as rigntone" option and will allow me to set it as the phones rt or a contact. I don't see how to trim it down/edit it...:thinking:

Upvote 0
when I go into menu it just has a "set as rigntone" option and will allow me to set it as the phones rt or a contact. I don't see how to trim it down/edit it...:thinking:

Ahhh, it must be a 2.1 feature then. I remembered the option in 1.5 and figured I would just set it for a little bit o' Irish flavor today. Now when I select it, I get a little menu that pops up and offers 3 options. Phone ringtone, Contact ringtone or Trim the ringtone. Trimming is not as fine as ringdroid. It jumps in single second increments, but it works really well for a quick edit and set.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones