• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What went wrong with Android Forums

Rgarner

Android Expert
Recently I was trying to use AF but it was down for "maintenance". It's down all right. I finally got on just now and was barely able to find how to post. I know I usually complain about something else but this time it's AF itself. What is up with this? It's really ugly and hard to use. PLEASE go back to the real Android Forums!

Guess you were away for a while. Forum software got updated recently, get used to it. Still a work in progress with some tweaks going on but this is basically it.
At least you missed the part right at the beginning where everyone's logins were broken, that's fixed now.

Unfortunately, I didn't miss it. I was asked to change my password (?!). When I was sent the link, it didn't work. I just got back on today. What's the point of making it ugly and almost unusable? AF was fine the way it was. Change it back, please.

we get more emojis:
🤔 🥷💩👽😈😴👍👎

we get gifs:
Happy Very Funny GIF by Disney Zootopia

the most annoying thing is that there are now ads
Its Going Down GIF by Philips Norelco

The forum software was way out of date and needed to be updated. The login problem was an unexpected consequence of the update and it affected everyone, took a day or two to resolve but it's all fixed now.
The complaint dept. is here-
@Rob
But yes this is how it is going forward, it's not going back to how it was although things may change a bit over time in response to suggestions and issues that come up.

Personally, I also think that it's "ugly" too. Maybe ugly isn't the right word but there's something "off putting" to me. I like the new capabilities and all.
Perhaps it's the XenForo logo on the top instead of the friendly android.
¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

yes... Dark mode, turn off the green light saber.... hmmm... :)
👽😈👽😆🤢😏😏😏😏🥷🥷🥷🥷🥷🥷

I love dark mode. I thought the way the forums looked a month or so ago was completely ugly. It was also annoying with the stupid sidebar that hid the forums list behind an extra click.

Wish the stupid round avatars would be square again though.

I guess it's slightly usable. At least the same people are on it. Haven't they ever heard this: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Just for the record, I don't get any ads whatsoever using Chrome for mobile in Dark Mode for this site.

I can be plagued by adverts and video pop ups, as Moody Blues described elsewhere, on Chrome particularly from a Discovery feed or just some regular websites I visit, despite selecting minimal cookies rather than just hitting Accept.

I don't have a VPN service.

I'm in the UK using an up to date Xiaomi device.
I have a standard membership on this forum.

Go figure? My Mummy did say I was special!

The 'new' look actually is more closer to the old vBulletin look than the look before it. I hated how it looked before. Bright white, pastel blue, that sidebar that hid the forum list, and no dark mode. I don't get ads as I use blockers. Story in another thread as to what started me on that train.

Is this the thing with XenForo .... that it Live updates all the time, in Chrome mobile for example, if you keep the screen open?

It's impressive.

Can't think of many down sides, if you are not limited on data.

Doesn't 'live update' on my machine but I think I got an extension that turns that annoyance off. Kept causing QoS issues and made the Apple TV rebuffer whatever I was watching if the Vostro refreshed the site.

I always manually refresh when I feel the need.

I can't think of any other thing / site that would do this on a browser page.

I suppose other forums have been using this for a while.

@nickdalzell I have the forum open on New Posts, if that makes any difference. I spotted it a week or so ago, and started taking more tablets.

Oh. Well I'm using the site via Firefox 52 ESR on a Dell Vostro 1700 from 2007 running Windows 7 Pro. I have uBlock installed and I am not sure if it's that or the old software that keeps the site from auto refreshing but I always hated auto refreshing anyway. I used to turn off JavaScript to avoid it years ago.

Back
Top Bottom