• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What would happen if I installed a custom OS?

It would burst into flame, like a Samsung Galaxy Note7.

Well actually it all depends on what this particular custom OS is, and what the phone, or tablet, or TV box, etc is. As I don't know what you've got there, can't be more specific than that. It may work, it may not work, it may brick

You can restore files as long as you back them up first.

My advice would be to take a backup using a custom recovery, then copy that off the phone (at least put it on a removable card). Then root the phone, install an app called Titanium Backup and use that to back up your apps. Take any other backups you would like as well (back up messages, make sure your contacts are synced, etc), and make sure you have copies of everything off the phone. Then you can worry about installing a custom ROM.

The two types of backup I describe have different uses. Recovery (e.g. TWRP) will back up your existing ROM as well as your apps and data (but not media), so if anything goes wrong you just go back into recovery and restore the backup and your old OS is back. I suggest doing that before even rooting (all you need is a custom recovery). Titanium backs up your apps and data so that you can restore them to the new ROM. The paid version of Titanium is better, as it allows you to restore stuff all at once and can back up messages so that they can be restored to a different ROM. You can of course trust Google to back up your app data, but I always had more confidence in Titanium.

It would burst into flame, like a Samsung Galaxy Note7.
Well actually it all depends on what this particular custom OS is, and what the phone, or tablet, or TV box, etc is. As I don't know what you've got there, can't be more specific than that. It may work, it may not work, it may brick
I have a Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime.

Back
Top Bottom