• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whats this sonim android device?

Can anyone identify this sonim android device and what each button does as well as where does the simcard go?

sonim (1)2.jpg

Attachments

• sonim22.jpg
    sonim22.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 43
  • sonim44.jpg
    sonim44.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 41
  • sonim33.jpg
    sonim33.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Well the buttons on the front look like the standard "back, home, recent apps" buttons (from left to right).

It looks most like the Sonim XP8. A quick web search tells me that you will find the SIM slot under the battery, so will have to remove the back cover (there should be some catch you can undo).

I think thats what it is to be exact thanks real rugged android 8 waterproof durable phone. When looking new theyre 170$ and 95$ refurbished says gsm 4g lte which is whats needed for my gsmtmobile phone service. Some new ads say for use with att service as its made by att or atleast has that on the back cover.

Thanks for your help. Im going to charge it and see how it functions.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to check if a phone is locked or unlocked to a certain carrier would have to contact sonim? ATT told me to try my sim if it works its compatible.
Is the sonim xp8 4g voLTE gsm compatible or android 7 isnt voice over?
When i checked the imei its CLEAN as my g power 2021 and not blacklisted.

Last edited:
Is the sonim xp8 4g voLTE gsm compatible or android 7 isnt voice over?
i do not understand this question. compatible with what? voice over?

Does anyone know how to check if a phone is locked or unlocked to a certain carrier would have to contact sonim? ATT told me to try my sim if it works its compatible.
When i checked the imei its CLEAN as my g power 2021 and not blacklisted.
inserting a sim card would be a start. also contacting your carrier, they could look at your imei and tell you if it is locked or not to another carrier.

Its clean not blacklisted but att, boost, redpocket told me to contact where i purchased phone third party and ask to unlock it. Ive seen a phone that had one report i guess had a plan that cutoff would be a 1 report blacklisted.

It appears its locked to att as it says insert ATT sim.
I tried my tmobile sim and doesnt work so im assuming its locked to att service. Its clean not blacklisted.

There is to unlock ATT device phones not sure if it'd work on a 2018 android 8 phone.

Attachments

• sonimpaint.jpg
    sonimpaint.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Has anyone had a sonim xp8 8800 and does this sim card simply set in place no retianing clips and battery simply pop over to hold the sim in place as you can see there isnt any retaining slot just a alignment tangs to hold the sim in correct position.

So this device looks to be locked to att service provider? My tmobile sim att told me to try didnt work in it and said best to contact third party where i got it to ask that question.
I read when there unlocked it usually doesnt show this unless its only for att service provider.

Attachments

• sonimpaint2.jpg
    sonimpaint2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 41
  • att (2).jpg
    att (2).jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
i do not understand this question. compatible with what? voice over?

inserting a sim card would be a start. also contacting your carrier, they could look at your imei and tell you if it is locked or not to another carrier.
Yeah the VOlte or voLTE means voice over. 4g gsm compatible. When i was searching for a phone to use with either redpocket gsmt or boost she said it had to be voLTE phone which means VOICE OVER i think from what she told me most newer phones are that voLTE 4g gsm. There is somewhere in phone settings to turn this feature on off. They now have 5g but supposedly stopped using 2g and still maybe use 3-4g.

Atleast thats what redpocket told me.
Redpocket ran the imei and said not compatible with their service so maybe it isnt 4g voLTE or it is but isnt gsm maybe cdma sprint att wrong bands for network.
When talking to boost and purchasing a used phone they would ask for the imei of the phone i was looking to buy used to check if it was compatible and it status last oct-nov 2022.

I use redpockets 30$ 360 day prepaid plan. It can only be bought on ebay and use gsmt or gsm t-mobile towers so a t-mobile locked phone would work she had told me i think. It has 200 minutes, 1000 texts, 200mb a month limit for 30$ 360 day prepaid. Can purchase extra minutes, data if needed for the month but as i dont use the phone too much i was looking for a cheaper phone service and that was the best option.
When discussing she said it had to be a 4g gsm voLTE when i asked what the VO meant she said it meant voice over which should show if the phone has it when running the imei on their end as well as locked/unlocked and status.

Some phones made for certain carriers i think dont have the correct bands to be used with other service providers as a new unlocked phone would have from my research or when i was shopping for a new phone.

Last edited:
Has anyone had a sonim xp8 8800 and does this sim card simply set in place no retianing clips and battery simply pop over to hold the sim in place as you can see there isnt any retaining slot just a alignment tangs to hold the sim in correct position.

So this device looks to be locked to att service provider? My tmobile sim att told me to try didnt work in it and said best to contact third party where i got it to ask that question.
I read when there unlocked it usually doesnt show this unless its only for att service provider.

A long time ago I had a phone that had a similar SIM card setup. It never slid out of place that I can recall

Yeah the VOlte or voLTE means voice over. 4g gsm compatible. When i was searching for a phone to use with either redpocket gsmt or boost she said it had to be voLTE phone which means VOICE OVER i think from what she told me most newer phones are that voLTE 4g gsm. There is somewhere in phone settings to turn this feature on off. They now have 5g but supposedly stopped using 2g and still maybe use 3-4g.

Atleast thats what redpocket told me.
Redpocket ran the imei and said not compatible with their service so maybe it isnt 4g voLTE or it is but isnt gsm maybe cdma sprint att wrong bands for network.
The site I linked earlier lists specs for this device. For network compatibility it claims:

TechnologyGSM / CDMA / HSPA / EVDO / LTE
2G bandsGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
CDMA 800 / 1900
3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
4G bands1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 38, 40, 41, 66
SpeedHSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (3CA) Cat12 600/150 Mbps

Sonim themselves have a datasheet at https://www.sonimtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Sonim_XP8_DataSheet_ATT_Final_031821.pdf, which does not list any of the CDMA bands GSMArena think it has but seems completely consistent on the 4G bands. And of course it is a GSM handset: it has a SIM card, which is GSM tech (as is LTE itself). The datasheet also says that it has VoLTE as well. And that sheet is for an ATT model, and you report it being locked to ATT, so I expect that's the same phone.

If your carrier uses T-Mobile towers then a quick web search tells me that T-Mobile use LTE bands 2, 4, 5 and 66, all of which Sonim list that phone as supporting. The T-Mobile website says that they still use the 2G GSM1900 band as well. But none of that will be relevant unless you can get it unlocked. The general advice is never to buy a second-hand phone without confirming that, because the carrier will usually only provide the unlock code to their customer, not to a second buyer.

So if this is an XP8 then it should be compatible.

Ah i found issues with the xp8 8800. I didnt notice it at first but its missing the two small metal snap clips with tangs that hold the sim cards in place. I was browsing sonims website they have 3 year warranty but she said it was out of warranty. I asked if they sold the metal clips as they look like they easily snap in on the sides then over the top end of sim card and she wasnt sure to check their online store didnt see anything and so im curious if the xp10 uses the same clips as its a nano sim.
Its a good handheld palm computer with wifi.

You can see mine in the last photo is missing these clips. Rare phone not sure what to do with it.

Attachments

• sonimsim.jpg
    sonimsim.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 33
  • sonimsimtraysclips.jpg
    sonimsimtraysclips.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 33
  • sonimsimtray.jpg
    sonimsimtray.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 32
  • sonimpaint2.jpg
    sonimpaint2.jpg