• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When Batteries Die

Stuntman

Android Expert
Nov 18, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
So, I fired up my HTC Desire Z the other day to test some apps before updating them on my current phone. I retired the DZ back in July due to the battery dying on me. The DZ battery doesn't hold a charge very long anymore and cannot charge up fully. I noticed also that the battery is now buldging out a bit. It is now a really tight fit to get the back cover on if I remove it. I also noticed that there was a spot on the battery that turned red. I guess red means bad.

Just wondering if anyone who has a cell phone battery that actually died noticed such things as well.

Replacement batteries are cheap online.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B005X1F4GG/ref=aw_d_ol

Another reason I hate the trend toward non replaceable batteries.

Man, I wish I had known about this back in July. I ordered one at the Bell store and after a couple of weeks, they said they don't make them anymore. I ended up getting a new phone instead. I would have prefered to keep using my Desire Z, but I guess getting an SGS3 isn't a bad decision.

Upvote 0
i used an old Nokia 5185i for ten years, had the original plus two other stock type batteries bought from flea markets where they had baskets just full of the phones/parts (they didn't make the battery anymore and i wanted to keep using it until i got my first Smartphone, at the time i was resistant to smart devices of any kind) so i do know that they will usually last longer than you think, but i think most Li-Ion batteries have a 'brain' of some kind that tells the charger to stop charging when they reach a designated charge cycle number (100, 300? etc) and this is usually a year or two now. the old batteries in that Nokia were NiMH, and never did last long when new, but i stopped using that phone and upgraded when i barely got a day of standby anymore. sad that they don't last as long as they used to, but i could be wrong. my old Coby Kyros tablet is at least two years old, non-removable battery and still holds a 5-7 hour charge, which it did out of box.

one of the first laptops i owned that had Li-Ion battery packs was a Latitude CPi, and it threw a error code on the charge display (back when the pack had LED readouts if you removed it and hit a button, they would also flash codes of certain LEDs to indicate faults such as high temp and such) when it reached the end of life, and would not only refuse to charge, but wouldn't let you use what was left. it was known as the infamous Dell 1-3-5 error since the code would flash the first, third and last LEDs in that little readout when it was on charge cycle 300

best way to extend a Li-Ion battery lifetime to its max is never let it drop below 50% if possible. charging at a low SOC (20% or less) not only harms them, but also counts as 1 charge cycle. the lifetime if they are brain equipped tops out at 100 to 300 depending on the make/model. budget phones/tablets have it set low. i always charge each night, when there is well over 75% left. this way the brain is fooled into assuming it's still on the last known cycle, and does not register a count. i don't take chances, with battery tech getting as smart as our phones, i don't like to risk it. they may not all have this little electronic gizmo in there but i don't want to find out the hard way.

Upvote 0
The metal tubes in that battery have deformed and warped.

It's a safety hazard - please stop using it before you get (quite literally) burned, as in right now. :(
Most Lithium secondary (rechargeable) batteries are "smart" and are supposed to drop dead when there's a fault that could cause more serious problems. But as with any safety system, I'd play it safe on my own no matter what the built-in safety says. :ahhhhh:

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Most Lithium secondary (rechargeable) batteries are "smart" and are supposed to drop dead when there's a fault that could cause more serious problems. But as with any safety system, I'd play it safe on my own no matter what the built-in safety says. :ahhhhh:

You are correct.

The safety circuits are supposed to prevent issues.

Knowing that, I gave my advice for two reasons - safety measures are a fallback and could also fail, and many readers could be using aftermarket batteries of questionable provenance.

The risk factor is the ratio of complexity to maturity, and the risk impact evaluation is consequence vs likelihood.

Given the consequence and the uncertainty possible in the risk factor, I stand by my advice.

Hope this clarifies! :)

Reactions: Speed Daemon
Upvote 0
The safety circuits are supposed to prevent issues.

Knowing that, I gave my advice for two reasons - safety measures are a fallback and could also fail, and many readers could be using aftermarket batteries of questionable provenance.

The risk factor is the ratio of complexity to maturity, and the risk impact evaluation is consequence vs likelihood.

Given the consequence and the uncertainty possible in the risk factor, I stand by my advice.
Yes, I agree completely.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones