• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When your battery capacity is not enough, would you like to change the phone or change the battery?

Phoneyy

Lurker
The current mobile phone batteries are basically non-detachable integrated design , we can not freely disassemble, when the battery has problems, can only take the phone to the store to find a professional repair or replacement, not convenient, and takes time and money.
So when your battery capacity is not enough, would you like to change the phone or change the battery?

Depends on which phone you're talking about..

... A lot of phones with non replaceable batteries are surprisingly easy for a non professional to swap the battery for a new one.

Ifixit.com is a fantastic place for working out how to do it

and most phones these days do pretty well with power management. main thing is to do your research before getting a new phone. my note 8 gets really good battery life still. it will also depend on how you use the phone. if you play games or watch movies or youtube a lot, then i would look into getting an external power supply of some sort.

There are factors to take into account.

If your phone is of new generation, you like it but the battery is kind of too small for heavy tasks, so an external battery pack is the solution. Otherwise your phone is more than 2 years and the battery dies too fast, replacing the phone is more recommendable.

If you are going to buy an external battery pack, there is another problem to solve. Some battery packs can fast-charge but they waste way too much power. The traditional slow-charging packs usually last longer. I have compared some of those battery packs and the difference could be as high as 30% of the battery pack's total capacity.

The gsmarena site has a handy phone search function that's good for when you're starting to research a new phone purchase, and doing a basic search for phones with user-removable batteries indicates there are currently 1094 models to chose from:
https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?sAvailabilities=1&sOSes=2&idBatRemovable=1
So while flagship models do follow that trend of batteries sealed in place with glues and adhesives (part of the planned obsolescence policies so many corporations follow), there are still a lot of still very viable, useful phones available that do have replaceable batteries. You can of course pare that listing down quite a bit by entering your own wants in a phone but unless you only focus on specific brands it's not a matter where removable battery phones are all that rare to find.

Though looking at the results I do think that GSMArena are being generous in their definition of "available" phones. More than 400 of those phones are > 4 years old, and the number drops to 113 if I restrict it to phones released in the last 2 years - still significant, but also indicative of the way that even mid-range or budget phones are increasingly using sealed batteries.

Good morning Team, Im proud for meet you, and utilice your creation, LineageOS 16 in my samsung galaxy note 3 N9005, as you, i was working in my univertity since starting android, from years 2009, but every day i learn more.

Now i want to know how chahge the battery capacity, beause im using Lineage OS 16, and i need to change the battery capacitym because the original is 3200 mAh, but i bought a battery with 7200 mAh, then when my battery in android arrive to 1%, she is with this status until 4 hours more less and next to few minutes, turn off my phone, but i guess if if modiffy this capacity in android and i put the real value, maybe fixed this problem.

please i need your help
thanks, i live in Cuba

Yes i know about it. I did it. But when I put this information in the battery capacity in this file, my phone go to restart and continue showing the logo lineage again again.

I have Lineage OS 16 in my Samsung Galaxy note 3 N9005

I guess that this file from framework call to other file and for this reason my phone go to restart again again

And I know that for every ROM this file distribution is different.

The new (Android 9) phones with replaceable batteries include several by Cubot - J3, J3Pro, J5, J7, Nova (Android 8.1) I have a Cubot Nova, and I've just replaced the battery, the old one was rated at 2800mAh and went 'puffy', the new one (Genuine Cubot) is rated at 3200 mAh, and lasts me easilt a day and a half, sometimes 2 days. And if you don't mind an older Android, HomTom HT17 and others (Android 6/7) have removable batteries.

The new (Android 9) phones with replaceable batteries include several by Cubot - J3, J3Pro, J5, J7, Nova (Android 8.1) I have a Cubot Nova, and I've just replaced the battery, the old one was rated at 2800mAh and went 'puffy', the new one (Genuine Cubot) is rated at 3200 mAh, and lasts me easilt a day and a half, sometimes 2 days. And if you don't mind an older Android, HomTom HT17 and others (Android 6/7) have removable batteries.

I didn't said it. Please read again my posting

Yes but I don't find the file in the kernel or ROM for change value battery in this way change battery capacity. The original ROM have 3200 mAh value and I bought a new battery for 7200 mAh

i believe the battery and such really has not much bearing on the custom rom you have. it is all about the kernel that will dictate how the battery runs.

I didn't said it. Please read again my posting
Did it occur to you that he might have been replying to the thread, not to your post (which was on somewhat a different question to the original)?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do recall phones with user-replaceable batteries didn't need custom kernel mods to handle a larger-capacity battery so I'm not sure that your theory is correct. Might be, I'm just not sure.

I bought a replacement battery for my old 2010 handset which did not identify itself correctly to the phone. It turned out to be a fake (despite being sold by a reputable dealer as original) that had saved some money by not installing all of the circuitry that a Li-ion pack should have, so the battery temperature and voltage readings didn't change when you charged or used it. I returned it because there was no way I was going to trust something like that. I'm just mentioning this to illustrate that it's possible that the problem is with the replacement battery rather than the phone - there's no way we can know for sure from here.

i believe the battery and such really has not much bearing on the custom rom you have. it is all about the kernel that will dictate how the battery runs.

Yes I'm clair. But I need to put the new values about the extended battery for 7200 <span style='background-color:#4285F4;'>mah</span>

Did it occur to you that he might have been replying to the thread, not to your post (which was on somewhat a different question to the original)?
&lt;br&gt;
&lt;br&gt; I don't know the answer to your question, but I do recall phones with user-replaceable batteries didn't need custom kernel mods to handle a larger-capacity battery so I'm not sure that your theory is correct. Might be, I'm just not sure.
&lt;br&gt;
&lt;br&gt; I bought a replacement battery for my old 2010 handset which did not identify itself correctly to the phone. It turned out to be a fake (despite being sold by a reputable dealer as original) that had saved some money by not installing all of the circuitry that a Li-ion pack should have, so the battery temperature and voltage readings didn't change when you charged or used it. I returned it because there was no way I was going to trust something like that. I'm just mentioning this to illustrate that it's possible that the problem is with the replacement battery rather than the phone - there's no way we can know for sure from here.

Yes I know but it's possible when you remplace the battery with the same capacity. But for different capacity the system don't update this change.

Back
Top Bottom