• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root where on earth do I begin?

The4d

Lurker
Hey everybody, i'll begin this by saying that I am by no means new to modding android phones. I've had a backflip for a while and did all sorts of craziness to that. However, I have just gotten a galaxy s, and upon looking around this forum, I am so lost!

It's currently running froyo and rooted, but otherwise totally stock.
What's the story with gingerbread? Is that actually working properly? All I can find are gingerbread kernels with all sorts of changelogs, errors, etc.
I'm sure you guys get this all the time, and I thought I was past the point of having to ask things like this, but thanks a bundle for any help! As far as I know, I just want to install a lagfix and a 2.3 rom, but otherwise keep everything basically stock, so I can make my own exploration :)
Cheers!

Plenty of GB roms around now, most are stable and run much better than Froyo. Once you choose a rom you should be much happier with your phone and I doubt you'll want a lagfix, the GB roms I've tried are much faster and pretty much lag free.

The problem is choosing one, there are so many and no guide to help. I had the i7500 and now the i9000 for 9 months so have been trying different Roms for a couple of years and I still find it confusing and don't know which rom is best (or even if there is such a thing). There's no Rom reviews or guide (and they change all the time so such a guide would need a lot of work to maintain), so just dive into XDA dev and hope you pick a good un.

Hey everybody, i'll begin this by saying that I am by no means new to modding android phones. I've had a backflip for a while and did all sorts of craziness to that. However, I have just gotten a galaxy s, and upon looking around this forum, I am so lost!

It's currently running froyo and rooted, but otherwise totally stock.
What's the story with gingerbread? Is that actually working properly? All I can find are gingerbread kernels with all sorts of changelogs, errors, etc.
I'm sure you guys get this all the time, and I thought I was past the point of having to ask things like this, but thanks a bundle for any help! As far as I know, I just want to install a lagfix and a 2.3 rom, but otherwise keep everything basically stock, so I can make my own exploration :)
Cheers!

Well I would say you start with froyo rom and kernel.
Gingerbread is not better then a polished froyo rom and kernel. Maybe about 2-3 months its better. But now it has to many issues.

Back
Top Bottom