• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

where to mount phone in the car while driving for safety

• windshield -It places the phone at eye level and is extremely cheap and easy to install - you can effortlessly stick and remove it from the glass
  • Dashboard - By placing your handset on the dashboard you can easily interact with the phone without affecting your windshield view
  • Vents - vent mounts are the best suited for people who don't want to have their handsets mounted in their cars all the time.
  • Rear View Mirror - Mounting the device on the rear view mirror does not require much effort to view your phone screen when you are driving the car
  • Cup Holder - This helps the driver to navigate the handset without any trouble. Moreover, one can easily remove it without any residues.

windshield -It places the phone at eye level and is extremely cheap and easy to install - you can effortlessly stick and remove it from the glass
This is where I have mine mounted. I have a truck and can barely reach it, so I really can't interact when driving. But when using it for navigation I can glance at my phone and keep my eyes on the road the same as glancing at my rearview mirror.
In the glove box - no distraction, so safer for you and, more importantly, for other people.

You absolutely should not be interacting with a phone while driving.
I think glancing at a screen is different than interacting. And by that I mean looking at a nav screen, seeing who is calling, seeing what type (e.g. email, text, other) type of notification came in. Things that take less than a second to see. Not reading or responding to texts, email, social media.

My phone calls and texts are through bluetooth in my truck with controls on my steering wheel, and I don't like talking on the phone anyway. That said, I'm not distracted by it.

Upvote 0
Well windscreen suction cup mounts are actually illegal in some countries and jurisdictions, like in some States in the US. Check your local ordinances.

If you got voice activation and feedback, like Google Voice, the phone can be quite safely hidden away in the glove box or pocket. And no need to touch it at all whilst driving.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
This is where I have mine mounted. I have a truck and can barely reach it, so I really can't interact when driving. But when using it for navigation I can glance at my phone and keep my eyes on the road the same as glancing at my rearview mirror.

I think glancing at a screen is different than interacting. And by that I mean looking at a nav screen, seeing who is calling, seeing what type (e.g. email, text, other) type of notification came in. Things that take less than a second to see. Not reading or responding to texts, email, social media.

My phone calls and texts are through bluetooth in my truck with controls on my steering wheel, and I don't like talking on the phone anyway. That said, I'm not distracted by it.
Yeah, using it as sat nav is no different from using a dedicated sat nav device - arguably better if you can voice control it if needed.

It was the statement in the original post about a cup holder being a good place for interacting with the phone that got my back up, as that could only mean picking it up and interacting manually. Though I've seen enough evidence that even hands-free is risky that I don't do that either.

(I always think that there's a fundamental problem with driving: in all but the worst conditions it's not demanding enough to occupy your full attention, but the consequences of even momentary inattention can be horrific. That's a bad mixture).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones