• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which CMS (Content Management System) is best to learn?

davoid

Android Expert
Hi I'm applying for jobs and some of them want experience of using CMS and I want to know which would be the best (most popular or easiest) to learn, and how would I go about using it?

I haven't posted this in Computers/IT forum because I thought it might be a more general job-related question, but I will defer to wisdom and experience. :)

Whn they want experience, they don't want your experience playing with the program, they want to know which hob you used it in. If you have experience using a CMS, learning a different one won't take much time. If you haven't actually used one, just played with one (or "learned" one, as you phrase it), learning how to actually use it is going to take more time than they're probably willing to give you, even if it's the same system they use.

If you haven't actually used one, just played with one (or "learned" one, as you phrase it), learning how to actually use it is going to take more time than they're probably willing to give you, even if it's the same system they use.

I understand that merely playing with a system wouldn't be enough for an employer, but if 'learning' it entails using it? I didn't say I only want to play with it. I would like to learn it and use it for myself.

If, as Codesplice says, Wordpress is a popular CMS then I can use that without merely playing with it.

It's a catch-22 for employers, too. Those that understand CMS have a specific need in mind and are looking for that proverbial needle of experience in the haystack of applicants, those that don't probably need someone to help them decide what they really do need and then implement it.

Being on the employer side and sitting through many tedious and disappointing interviews, I can tell you that a candidate with the grasp of the concepts and the ability to transpose that across packages and platforms is golden.

You will never learn or have experience with everything ... or even exactly what they are looking for.

Let's say the Acme Corporation (Supplier of many fine products to Coyote's everywhere ;)) is heavily invested in CyberCMS

As has been said, it is the language and understanding of the concepts that is difficult, not knowing how to use a specific tool. That's just icing. That hard part to grasp is the concept of organizing the information that describes the information you are storing. Think of a library and the card catalog on steroids. Then to understand how that information can be collected and assigned to minimize additional effort. For example, who check's in content can be more important that the information itself. If HR adds a document to the system, then it is probably a personell record of some type and has certain retention & access rules that can be applied automatically. Further, if the document is checked in from a person with the specific role of benefits administrator in HR, that is more information about the information you know. All of this information about the information stored is called metadata. It not only enables the information to be found and accessed quickly and in automated ways (think press releases on a corporate website) but also enables security, portability, retention and destruction, and revision management. It can also be takes a step further with use of workflows to define who can add, edit, and approve changes to information, and when information is updated in the system, the new version is automatically and immediately available to all consumers of the information.

The only one I have any experience with is Blackboard Xythos, but that's a proprietary one that probably isn't used much outside of institutions/organizations that utilize the Blackboard LMS.

Back
Top Bottom