• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who Has Screen Separation?

Do you have screen separation?

• Yes, and I noticed it right out of the box.

Votes: 40 25.6%
  • Yes, and I believe it's from me using it.

Votes: 21 13.5%
  • No, and I wouldn't care anyways.

Votes: 13 8.3%
  • No, but I'm returning my Nexus 7 until problems are worked out.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I don't know, I'm too afraid to look.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other: Let's see it in the comments.

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • No

Votes: 61 39.1%

• Total voters
@sean.... from what you described re: the 4th device it sounds like everything was fine until heat hit it. From all the posts I've read here and other forums there have been a lot of people saying their N7 was fine when they first powered it on but after using it, I'm guessing it's warmed up by now....and bam....the screen starts lifting.

This is just a theory of mine based on reading; nothing concrete but it does seem quite pausible given the number of folks this has happened too.

Yup...you hit the nail on the head...Also screen is a little yellowish!

Upvote 0
My screen was down for 2 days and now it is back up to the same place seems that tomorrow I will be calling Google again to try to get another replacement.

I have to say that when I was working for a big company the smallest QC slip was huge problem but it seems Asus can go ahead and make a crappy flagship device for Google and there seems to be no punishment what so ever. What is being done is driving people away who are on the fence between IOS and Android. I do know Apple also has problems with their stuff but they also have stores where you can bring your thing and get it replaced and make sure you get a good item while Google will send you a replacement but it seems they are can send you a worse device than the one you already have.

Just a thought here and by the way I hate Apple so don't think I am trying to bash Google because I am a fan boy or something.

Upvote 0
I'm on my second Nexus 7, which has a C70K SSN btw, and yet again i'm having left bezel screen lift issues. I am 100% sure it is related to some sort of glue, as heating the device up always makes it far spongier than when it is cool. Every time I play a decent game that taxes the GPU, the bottom left corner will get warn, and then it starts. I really don't know how Asus has managed to screw up so many units. Do they even have any QC on anything? Getting perhaps tens of thousands of units shipped back can't be cheap for them.

That yellowish could be from the glue. I remember reading something like this before (forget what device was) and it was stated the glue was causing that color.

That was happening to the iPhone 4S right after its initial launch. With time, the tint should have gone away on those devices. Perhaps that is the same issue with the Nexus, as it seems like Asus is also rushing to fill orders, and the tablets are not sitting in a warehouse to "dry".

Upvote 0
Has anyone taken the time to repair their screen separation? I've broken two credit cards trying to get the case off, and I'm afraid I'll ruin the case if stay at it. I've had it for a week, and if I need to take it back, I don't want to have them deny me for a damaged case. I'd take it back, but I got the last one and the store has not had any since my purchase.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I'm on my second Nexus 7, which has a C70K SSN btw, and yet again i'm having left bezel screen lift issues.

A little off topic, that's actually an "O" after the month digit in the serial, NOT a zero (0).

If you try to register on Asus' VIP site for RMA or warranty, and use a 0 in that place, it will spit back your serial is invalid. I've seen threads created on other sites asking why the site was rejecting their serial, and this is the common reason why. Just some fyi

Attachments

• vip.jpg
    vip.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Xyro
Upvote 0
I'm fairly philosophical about issues like this, after the iPhone antenna and battery debacles, and similar issues with some of the higher priced cameras that are now on the market. QC seems to be on the back burner for a lot of companies. As a consumer, I sort of have to accept that as a given across all electronic lines if I want the latest technology, but the safety net is the repair/warranty process.

And that's what REALLY bothers me about the Nexus 7. My son and I both have these. Mine -- no problem so far. His -- screen separation late afternoon several days ago, followed the next morning (as it cooled?) by a hairline crack across the length of the screen and lack of responsiveness from the screen. It doesn't work.

My son has had his Nexus 7 for just over 30 days. He bought it from Google. He contacted ASUS about warranty repairs and was told the warranty doesn't cover the screen. He told the rep the screen crack was caused by a condition that should be covered by the warranty. The rep said they (ASUS) would be willing to fix it for $170, because the screen is not covered by the warranty. Period.

This is ridiculous. It's bad enough if people have to return their units and get another one due to poor workmanship, but to have an obvious warranty repair denied? Ridiculous.

I really like the Nexus 7, but I've only had mine since Sept. 5th so I'll probably return it in the next week or two. Scr*w Google and ASUS -- the Internet is full of stories like this. I'll probably wait for the iPad Mini (and I am NOT an Apple fan at all).

Upvote 0
I have some very slight screen lift on the left side of the device; it becomes flush with the bezel when I push down on it, but doesn't stay.

Like many of you, it's small enough for me to not worry about right now. However, I am definitely concerned it will only worsen over time (and then be a real problem once warranty is over). I also have some occasional flickering bands pop up--they happen all at once and then don't happen for a few days.

I can't return it to Staples at this point because I've had it for 3.5 weeks and their return policy is 14 days (and I can't seem to find the receipt, which is really annoying since I hold onto a lot of receipts).

Will Google/ASUS replace it? How long does that take, and do I have to pay to ship it to them? (that would be annoying) Can I send it back to Google and request a 16GB instead and pay the difference? (currently have an 8GB)

Upvote 0
I read a post in which someone said their son's N7 developed the screen lift which then caused a hairline crack for which Google and ASUS said there's nothing they can do because the screen isn't covered under warranty.

I find this absurd considering the screen is essential to the devices operation and it's not covered. That's just crazy!

Upvote 0
Will Google/ASUS replace it? How long does that take, and do I have to pay to ship it to them? (that would be annoying) Can I send it back to Google and request a 16GB instead and pay the difference? (currently have an 8GB)

You would have to register at vip.asus.com and set up an RMA since you can no longer exchange in store, not sure if they charge to send it in, but I'm almost positive you can't send it to Google for the 16GB.

Upvote 0
Well after reading this thread, I am on my second unit and both have had the screen lift as described. And to be honest, it's not that noticeable but it shouldn't be there in the first place so it's just some design or manufacturing issue.

Can I be bothered to do a fix for it, not really as there is no guarantee it won't make it worse.
So I tolerate it, think it's still a great tablet for the price and once it's in its amazon case, it'll be hidden anyway.

Upvote 0
OK this is a pretty decent fix...

Get a blowdryer and a microfiber cloth, run the blowdryer on the side of the screen that is lifting, run it mainly on the area that is lifting for no more then say 20 seconds, then squeeze the screen down with one finger on the back of the unit and one on the screen, reason for the cloth is that the screen will be warm and it also adds some cushion while your squeezing down. Repeat this process twice and you should never have screen lifting again in that area. Alot of people are reporting lifting on the left hand side, mostly towards the middle of the screen. That's where my lifting was as well.

Did this on my 8 gig unit and it permantly fixed the issue.

Upvote 0
OK this is a pretty decent fix...

Get a blowdryer and a microfiber cloth, run the blowdryer on the side of the screen that is lifting, run it mainly on the area that is lifting for no more then say 20 seconds, then squeeze the screen down with one finger on the back of the unit and one on the screen, reason for the cloth is that the screen will be warm and it also adds some cushion while your squeezing down. Repeat this process twice and you should never have screen lifting again in that area. Alot of people are reporting lifting on the left hand side, mostly towards the middle of the screen. That's where my lifting was as well.

Did this on my 8 gig unit and it permantly fixed the issue.
And how long has this "permanent" fix held up so far? I hadn't read about this fix but I used it 2 days ago, I'm no stranger to the blow dryer technique. But it gradually came back, it's now just as bad as it was before.

Upvote 0
And how long has this "permanent" fix held up so far? I hadn't read about this fix but I used it 2 days ago, I'm no stranger to the blow dryer technique. But it gradually came back, it's now just as bad as it was before.

A few posts back I posted telling everyone how I fixed mine with the blow dryer technique, using clamps over night.

It held for almost a month but when I was using it yesterday I noticed that it's starting to raise again. :mad:

I'm not gonna try to fix it this time. Sending it back to Google,

Upvote 0

Mine was perfect for roughly 2 weeks. Just returned it the other day for a 16 gig and this one had no screen separation out of the box.

Upvote 0
Something I've noticed with my device. When I push the screen in the place it should be, I get a crazy amount of backlight bleeding. The screen turns nearly white near the left bezel. The screen is at its best when I just leave it seperated from the casing itself.

When I hold the device with my left hand (which I will always be doing, since I type with my right hand) I really push down the screen and reveal the backlight bleeding.

Kinda sucks, because other than that it's perfect. Don't want to send it back :(.

Upvote 0
I just bought this tablet from Walmart. As I was reading an e-book one night I thought I noticed something different on the left side of the tablet edge in the middle. It seemed as though the glass was loose from the edge. Thought it was my imagination. Guess not :(
Another issue that has cropped up is now it takes a good 10-15secs of holding down the power button for the boot screen to come on. It used yo be hold down about 4 sec release and boot screen. It was suggested by someone from Asus to hold down power and down volume buttons until screen comes up with tiny writing and to let the device turn itself on. Only thing is it never turns on. The battery just heats up. Going to have to make a decision fast about whether to exchange since Walmart has a 15 day return policy for electronics. Any ideas about the software glitch? Glad I'm not alone with the screen problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones