• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who is actively using google voice these days? What do and don't u like about it?

Can someone please tell me how to use it for texting? I use handcent. I also use Google Voice for my voicemails but I didn't know you can use it for texting. What exactly does that mean?

EDIT: I'm also using my own phone number. Not a Google number.
You will not be able to use it for texting then unless you forward the GV texts to your number. Under your GV settings, you can edit your phone and check "Receive text messages on this phone." It should forward your GV texts then.

Upvote 0
I'd love to try it, but it's U.S. only :(

Too bad the Skype app sucks and Viber is still in Android Beta with know PC/MAC apps.

When you open Voice on your phone you should be able to chose "texts" (like when you go on the website on the computer). You can send out texts, but using the phone number that google assigned you. If you forward the texts to your normal phone number your carrier will charge you for the texts.

Voice uses your data plan to send the texts so it doesn't cost anything extra for you.

So, first step is to get that google voice number.

Upvote 0
You also have to tell your family/friends what your GV # is. I sent out a mass email, posted it on Facebook (when I had one) and Twitter. Took a while but they all got it. Then I called VZW and dropped my text plan AND had my text/MMS blocked so I'm not charged for stray texts. Then you just have to use email for pics instead of MMS. Even if a phone doesn't have a regular email, there is one that you can send pics to. Like username@vzwmms.com for example. That's what I do with to send pics to my husbands dumb phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones