• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help why can't i kill these tasks?

its just how they work. maps get activated by anything using location (weather widget) the other, i dont know why they are "running" but they are.

there is no reason to kill them. they are frozen in memory and are not using any cpu cycles. memory in android is handled differently than in windows. open memory in android is wasted memory.

there is no reason to use a task killer, the android OS does it pretty well on its own. task killers cause more harm than good on a phone like the thunderbolt. killing these apps only causes them to re-open again (as you have seen) thus eating up battery quicker than just leaving them open.

to get rid of those apps, you must root your phone and uninstall them.

Upvote 0
its just how they work. maps get activated by anything using location (weather widget) the other, i dont know why they are "running" but they are.

there is no reason to kill them. they are frozen in memory and are not using any cpu cycles. memory in android is handled differently than in windows. open memory in android is wasted memory.

there is no reason to use a task killer, the android OS does it pretty well on its own. task killers cause more harm than good on a phone like the thunderbolt. killing these apps only causes them to re-open again (as you have seen) thus eating up battery quicker than just leaving them open.

to get rid of those apps, you must root your phone and uninstall them.

not true if my phone is running ridiculously slow i kill apps and the phone gets much faster

Upvote 0
Are the tasks really running or just cached? You don't need a task killer, here's why:

I develop Android apps so I though I'd explain why a task killer isn't needed on an Android system.

Activities
Android apps use activites to preform tasks. For example, if you use a file manager to send a picture via email, the file manager calls the send activity within an email app, passes the file name to it and the email app sends the picture.. not the file manager. This will result in seeing the email app as "running" even though the user didn't actually launch that email app.

Smaller apps
Using activites helps developers design smaller apps. A file manager app that contains every bit of code needed to do everything a file manager does would likely be so large that no one would want to install it. Developers know that an android phone more than likely has an email app so there is no need for the developer to include email code in his/her file manager to send a picture when he/she can call an activity in an existing email app to do the job. This results in a smaller file manager app since there is no need to include email code or any other code for an activity that can be done via an app that is already present on the phone. This also alleviates redundant code. When you install an app outside of the android market, also known as sideloading, the file manager app calls the package installer (already present in Android) to install the requested app.

Running apps vs. cached apps
The "Manage Applications" list included in many android devices lists running apps as well as cached apps. Cached apps don't use any CPU or battery, they're cached so they will load faster the next time you need them. Killing cached apps results in those apps requiring more time to load the next time they are launched.

System management
By default, every android application runs in its own Linux process. Android starts the process when any of the application

Upvote 0
not true if my phone is running ridiculously slow i kill apps and the phone gets much faster
that is probably because one of the apps is actually RUNNING in the background sucking up CPU resources. watchdog lite would notify you of this app, and kill it automatically or have you kill it on your own. the phone would then run smoothly. I have said it a hundred times, and I'll say it once more. Task killers are not needed on these phones. watchdog is the only "task killer" you need. and its not even a task killer. is picks up rogue apps that want to work your phone overtime when not needed and kills that app.

Upvote 0
It's amazing that at this point in time people still exist that insist ATKs are a good idea. The biggest problem with this was Verizon told every single person they had to have it on their phone. Even Verizon has given up on this philosophy, but there are a few stragglers still going at it. Probably making pro-ATK propaganda movies to be released on VHS and in newspapers...

Reactions: lgldrgdlr
Upvote 0

Not to try and make any less of everything you typed up, but you either forget to mention or are unaware of malfunctioning/defective sleep/cached apps. There are numerous apps on the Android Market that do not have a properly coded sleep mode; these are apps that consume CPU time even when they tell the OS they are sleeping and should not be using any CPU time. This isn't confusing the difference between running full on and sleeping, these apps literally have a defective sleep mode where they sometimes or always consume CPU time no matter how you exit the app. Users either need to uninstall these apps or use a task killer to stop them from draining resources.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones