• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why does ringer volume keep going down?

There are very few things I dislike about my S5 (it is now running Lollipop) but one of them is how the ringer volume will go down on its own. I can count how many calls I have missed because the ringer volume went down and I did not hear it. I will turn it all the way up...and at some point it inevitably goes back down. The other thing I hate is when it is ringing...when my hand gets close to it the sound quits altogether. Is there a way to turn this "feature" off?

There are very few things I dislike about my S5 (it is now running Lollipop) but one of them is how the ringer volume will go down on its own. I can count how many calls I have missed because the ringer volume went down and I did not hear it. I will turn it all the way up...and at some point it inevitably goes back down. The other thing I hate is when it is ringing...when my hand gets close to it the sound quits altogether. Is there a way to turn this "feature" off?

The Same thing has happened to me also...thanks for posting

The first thing to check is...

Settings > Motions and gestures > Mute/Pause

Last edited:
I'm still on 4.4.4, but the very first thing I did on my S5 was the result of what your problem is..... strange volume settings or other "actions" taking place.

I turned OFF every one of those "Gesture" type features. Once I had that done, the phone started being reliable.

I've heard that MacroDroid was not working with 5.0, but I just looked and it was updated this week, as of May 16, 2015.....

I have the Pro version of MD which allows lots of macros.
I have a couple of macros that sense the screen:
  • Screen is locked, set the Ringer Volume to MAX.
  • Screen is Unlocked, set all volumes to Desired Levels
Before I started using MD, I would miss phone calls, which for me with bad ears is all to easy to do anyway. So it is vital that all volume levels be at MAX.

A 2nd app is neat in that will will cancel that stupid S5 feature of low level ring and then make it louder on each succeeding ring... what a PITA that is, people hang up before I even knew the phone was ringing.....

This app fixed that, the 1st ring is at Max Volume now:
* Ring Volume -Disable Increasing Ring - Android Apps on Google Play

I'm still on 4.4.4, but the very first thing I did on my S5 was the result of what your problem is..... strange volume settings or other "actions" taking place.

I turned OFF every one of those "Gesture" type features. Once I had that done, the phone started being reliable.

I've heard that MacroDroid was not working with 5.0, but I just looked and it was updated this week, as of May 16, 2015.....

I have the Pro version of MD which allows lots of macros.
I have a couple of macros that sense the screen:
  • Screen is locked, set the Ringer Volume to MAX.
  • Screen is Unlocked, set all volumes to Desired Levels
Before I started using MD, I would miss phone calls, which for me with bad ears is all to easy to do anyway. So it is vital that all volume levels be at MAX.

A 2nd app is neat in that will will cancel that stupid S5 feature of low level ring and then make it louder on each succeeding ring... what a PITA that is, people hang up before I even knew the phone was ringing.....

This app fixed that, the 1st ring is at Max Volume now:
* Ring Volume -Disable Increasing Ring - Android Apps on Google Play
I got the MD app and it is pretty cool but I can't figure out how to create the macro "Screen is locked, set Ringer Volume to MAX."

My phone is busy updating some apps, I will be back in a few and walk you thru it step by step

5/23/2015 10:23 PM

Okay, my phone finished up installing that ridiculous POS Verizon LolliFlop, overheated, stopped working, stuck it in the freezer with the back removed so it would cool down again.

Trying to get the damn screen colors so I can see something, friggin pastel colors are so faint as to make them invisible for me…. Piss on Verizon for doing this. I had just went thru a FDR last night to stop this upgrade shit….. it lasted almost long enough for the apps to get reinstalled and then here it goes again via DATA and I have it set to upgrade ONLY via WiFi…..

If this crap can't be fixed so I can enjoy my phone again, it is going to get rooted and returned to 4.4.4 again forever like I wanted it in the first place.

Now, to your MacroDroid problem….. sorry about the rant, but I am not happy in the least with VZW… piece of crap ISP pushing their crap on customers who are paying their bills……..

You need this macro as I read it: "Screen is locked, set Ringer Volume to MAX."

MacroDroid open of course, hit the + sign

Trigger, find "Screen On/Off", then in the new window, select Screen Off.

Now in the Actions box, hit the + sign there, find "Volume Change",

…. Move the sliders for each function that you want to preset to a level…. Be sure you click the box or it won't take.

Click the 'OK' key and move on,

We don't need any Constraints in this macro, so Just enter a name for it, I call it "Ringer Max, Scrn Off"

Just put a name there that means something to you.

Don't bother with a Category, that just makes a horrendous mess out of your macro lists.

Now, since I have a brand new MacroDroid app after LolliFlop installed,,, I just noticed the Dev changed how you SAVE the macro, and I bet this is where you are having trouble, as it threw my macro away twice before I glommed onto what is happening.

To SAVE the macro, hit the + sign again….. Yep, the same plus sign that we use to Create a Macro is now used to SAVE a macro. In the original version, there was a Right Arrow that you touched to SAVE the macro…. Hmmmm, guess that wasn't good enough..

Hope this helps you.

BY GOLLY I'VE FINALLY FOUND THE ANSWER!!! (on my phone atleast).

I would have *never* thought this particular setting would do it, but sure enough, as soon as I unticked it, my volume finally stays where I put it.

The setting that caused all of my volume issues was the one which reads contact info aloud on incoming calls... specifically, the one that only does this for FAVORITES. Who'da thought?! I finally noticed what was really going on. When my ringtone sounded at full volume, it would suddenly turn down to about 1/5th its normal setting so the system voice could be heard ON TOP OF IT. Unfortunately, it wouldn't turn the volume back up.

Again, this only happened with my favorites, of which I have 3, and tbh, don't hear from all that often (esp the wife, thank goodness). Normal calls wouldn't affect the volume, but as soon as a favorite called, BAM... down went my volume again. Frustrating, didn't cover it.

Now, where to find that magic setting:
Of all places, its under LANGUAGE AND INPUT!!! (and I've been looking under sounds, ringtones, etc... silly me). All the way at the bottom, look for "Read Notifications Aloud". Go in there, and see if "Calls from favorite contacts" is ticked on. If it is, untick it and your volume annoyances will disappear. Also look at the other options available in that section, as ANY voice over ringtone activity can do the same thing.

Mind you, I'm on a Note4 running Marshmallow, so you might have to search in settings for "speak contact info" or something along those lines to find it with your version of android. All I can say is it absolutely FIXED mine, and the same on 2 other samsung phones I have. "Language and Input" for a volume setting... hmph!

I hope this finally solves this problem for a lot of yall! Peace and long life...

Last edited:
Seems to be a universal issue with far too many samsung devices... I've seen it on my S4/5 (still miss those, they served me well), as well as newer models on varying versions of android.

Fwiw, I found this post looking to finally solve that insanity inducing ringtone condition on a recently acquired Note4 (say what you will, its *still* an incredibly powerful phablet that doesn't cost a grand with an awesome 16mp cam).

A ton of other issues with my samsung devices have been solved by simply replacing the native touchwiz launcher with Nova (many others are great too). That change fixed weirdness like camera settings being inaccessible to not being able to run DJI's uav apps at all. It also gives a lot of power to change things without needing root access.

In any event, I hope the previously mentioned volume fix helps atleast one other person about to give their phone flying lessons!

I am a Computer Science major and a cell phone user since 1992, and a mobile phone user since 1982. I don't like smartphones any more and hate the tracking. I would be just as happy to go back to a satchel phone and do without all of the BS.

first off welcome to AF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a Computer Science major and a cell phone user since 1992, and a mobile phone user since 1982. I don't like smartphones any more and hate the tracking. I would be just as happy to go back to a satchel phone and do without all of the BS.
that is all fine and dandy, but what does your post have to do with the op which is about ringer volume going down? plus this thread is from 2019.

Back
Top Bottom