• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why does Winamp player run slow now?

ramon198535

Jul 13, 2012
Before, my SD card would get "unexpectedly removed" ALL the time, so I got a new one. Now, my Winamp player is taking a long time to get to my music, when I click on Genre, Artist, or Album. I thought maybe they have to get used to the ID3 tags again, but it's been going slow since Friday. I uninstalled Winamp and installed it again. Same thing. What's the problem?

I used also formatted my SD card with my YP-G1 Android instead of formatting with my computer. Could that be the problem?

Did you move Winamp to the SD card? It's slower on my unrooted ICS Xperia U (Moved to Internal Storage) than on my rooted (WC3 Rom based on GB) Wildfire S (Linked via Link2SD), but very fast on my Nexus7 (Moved to Internal Storage). Also, which version of Android is on your phone, it may make a difference, gut feel says GB and JB will be faster than ICS.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's necessarily about WinAmp. Although your music files are stored on the SD-card, I'm pretty sure that Android catalogs the music collection on the SD-card and then stores the catalog database on the phone's internal memory. Creating that catalog can take a long time if you have a big music collection and it can even crash the phone if you're using Android 2.2 or older with a big music collection. Therefore WinAmp (or any other music player app) should be able to start-up quickly regardless of the speed of the SD-card (unless the app itself is stored on a slow SD-card).

If you start any other music player app, is it also slow?

Android may have improperly double-catalogued the music collection. You may want to go into Settings/Applications/Manage-Applications/All and then delete the data under the Music app, and perhaps for WinAmp.

FYI: I used WinAmp for a few years but I switched to MixZing. I think MixZing is far superior.
http://androidforums.com/android-ap...utcast-radio-best-free-player-bye-winamp.html

Upvote 0
I don't think it's necessarily about WinAmp. Although your music files are stored on the SD-card, I'm pretty sure that Android catalogs the music collection on the SD-card and then stores the catalog database on the phone's internal memory. Creating that catalog can take a long time if you have a big music collection and it can even crash the phone if you're using Android 2.2 or older with a big music collection. Therefore WinAmp (or any other music player app) should be able to start-up quickly regardless of the speed of the SD-card (unless the app itself is stored on a slow SD-card).

If you start any other music player app, is it also slow?

Android may have improperly double-catalogued the music collection. You may want to go into Settings/Applications/Manage-Applications/All and then delete the data under the Music app, and perhaps for WinAmp.

FYI: I used WinAmp for a few years but I switched to MixZing. I think MixZing is far superior.
http://androidforums.com/android-ap...utcast-radio-best-free-player-bye-winamp.html

I've been using Mixzing lately. I LOVE this app! I think I'm done with Winamp now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones