• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why is Google asking my permission?

Gary Bob

Lurker
Hi. I am currently running Android 10 on my Moto g power. I have had Android phones for about 10 yrs and never had this happen.

The last couple of days, out of the blue I am getting a notification that appears to be from Google. It simply says, "This app needs your permission". The first time it happened, I clicked to find out more. It just went away and nothing else came up. It's come up again and I am now suspicious of it. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Thanks for any input.

How do I get rid of asking permission for an app?

Change app permissions
  1. On your phone, open the Settings app.
  2. Tap Apps.
  3. Tap the app that you want to change. If you can't find it, tap See all apps. ...
  4. Tap Permissions. If you allowed or denied any permissions for the app, you'll find them here.
  5. To change a permission setting, tap it, then choose Allow or Don't allow.
https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/9431959?hl=en-GB

Hi. I am currently running Android 10 on my Moto g power. I have had Android phones for about 10 yrs and never had this happen.

I don't think you need to get too worried about this either.
Keep in mind that the Android operating system is continuously being developed and altered, and it's not just the user interface you interact with, but there are always a lot of changes to how things function in the background. You might not have seen it until now because it didn't exist in previous versions.

Thanks guys for your input. I guess I failed to mention that I have no idea what app it refers to, that's why it makes me nervous. It just showed up in my main notification list, not within any app.

Go into settings - notifications - notification history. See if anything shows there, also check (in the same place, notifications) app settings to see what shows there.
It's odd that it doesn't say what is tied to.

If the pop-up is asking you to say 'yea it's me' it's just two-factor authentication doing its job.

If it's asking you to enable say, the location permission of an app at launch because it's being used for the first time or because you told it to skip the previous time you used it, this is the Android version of User Account Control. It allows you to fine-tune, confirm/deny permissions of certain apps for user privacy or preferences and of course, security. Apple has done this as well.

Sometime system apps do this when they run in the background and you haven't provided them the necessary permissions (e.g., storage, network access) to allow them to do their job. For example, if you set up Google Assistant, and it's set to wake on 'OK Google' and you haven't provided the permission to use your microphone, it will keep popping up to let you know.

It's a good thing. In the good old days of Android 2.3, we had to just accept whatever permissions that any app or game or utility had, since it'd present you with a verbose list and you had to accept in order to even install such an app. That opened the door to a vast majority of malware back then. This newer improved method allows the user far more control and awareness of them. This is an improvement to Android 6's app permissions in settings which gave similar control but didn't tell you on app launch.

Google may ask for your permission in a variety of contexts depending on the situation. Here are a few examples of why Google may be asking for your permission:
  1. Access to your Google account: If you're signing in to a new device or app with your Google account, Google may ask for your permission to access certain information associated with your account, such as your name, email address, and profile picture.
  2. Location data: If you're using a Google service or app that relies on location data, such as Google Maps, Google may ask for your permission to access your device's location.
  3. Permissions for apps: If you're using an app on your Android device that requires certain permissions to function properly, such as access to your camera or microphone, Google may ask for your permission before allowing the app to access those features.
In general, Google asks for your permission to ensure that you are aware of and comfortable with the data that is being accessed or shared. By providing your consent, you are allowing Google to collect or use certain data as described in the terms and conditions or privacy policy for the service or app in question. If you have concerns about the data that Google is requesting access to, you can always review the terms and conditions or privacy policy and make an informed decision about whether or not to grant permission.

Back
Top Bottom