• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why is their such a vast difference??

poultrum

So both myself and my GF have the wonderous hero,now their seems to be a vast differance between the performance of both our phones, mine runs like a charm never lags, never crashes nothing, hers on the other hand, constantly crashes ,literally at least once a day , now my phone was supplied by orange and hers was supplied by t-mobile.(could this be the problem),we have mostly the same apps.(could this be the problem)

I`m always on my phone seeing whats the most i can get out of it, where as she on the other hand just uses it for games and a bit of facebook,

I think we are both on the same firmware, but obvisouly its slightly different for both, as mines orange and hers is t-mobile.(as both were bought around the same time)

i just can`t see why their is such a differance between the performance of each phone , she`s slowly but surely thinking about getting rid of the hero :(

I think you've answered your question. Same ROM with same apps should run the same. You could try uninstalling any app she has that you don't. Some apps are badly written and slow down the system when you don't even think they're running.

The other thing to try is a custom ROM, but beware all the caveats like voiding warranty etc.. I replaced my ROM with ModaCo 3.1 and it flies.

Suggest you check your GF's firmware revision, its entirely possible that yours shipped with the 2.xx firmware (de-lagged) while hers shipped with 1.xx (LOTS of lag).

[menu] -> settings -> about phone -> build number

If the build number starts with 1 then she has the old laggy version and needs to update.

Problem solved yep although she got her phone a few days after me, t-mobile shipped with the old fimware(how nice of them) is it worth me updating her phone to the new firmware, or should i just wait in the hope 2.1 will be coming soon ? don`t want her to have to re install everything then , have to do it again in a few weeks? i`m considerate like that :) is their anyway i can get everything backed up so i can just install the new firmware and then use the back up to get everything right again ??

Heh, depends on how much it's pissing her off and what your definition of 'soon' is. 2.1 could be here tomorrow or we could still be waiting in 3 months time.

I think htc sync doesnt quite backup everything, there are apps on the marketplace like mybackup pro which supposedly do a better job. Also i recall there being issues with restoring text messages between 1.x and 2.x. Have a search around these forums for details, there have been quite a few threads about this.

sod it i`m just going to do her the upgrade, she won`t be that bothered when 2.1 arrives , doubt she would even notice, aslong as i can keep my phone out of view LOL not bothered about sms ,more her contacts and facebook, but aslong as i save all her contacts to the sim i should be alright :)

thanks daveybaby and monkeygeo for your quick responces :)
thats one less thing for her to moan about now :)

If you have a gmail account, all your/her contacts are stored there.
Then it's just to do a sync when you have done the upgrade.
No problem when it's only the contacts you need the backup of.

Not sure how this works with the apps, haven't tried any backup sollutions.
May have to though, when 2.1 is getting closer...

I've got a G2 Touch (T-Mobile Hero) and the original firmware was awful, it was like a different phone when I upgraded. As we have no official date on the 2.1 update I would upgrade, sync the contacts to Google (like B

so I upgraded the firmware last night, only issue I had was a certan somebody had forgotten all their gmail sign in details :( so instead I just used my backup, did the firmware stuff and restored using mybackup, took all of 30minutes :) made me realise than when 2.1 does come I can change over easily without too much hassle :)

Back
Top Bottom