• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why no love for the Spectrum?

I just looked up a few reviews on antutu scores with the htc one x and it looks like it ranges from around 9700-10700. One test I looked at showed it having 22.2MB read and 32MB write speeds on the sd card. Thats awesome.

I fully expect the Spectrum to be in that range when we get on ICS. It's the only thing holding us back at this point as GB does not use both cores efficiently and ICS does a better job at it.

Upvote 0
Silly me. I thought seeing how the S4 chipset works in real life would be enough, especially considering how efficient it is.

I'm not one to put too much stock in benchmarks. I used to care when I was a kid. Building my own PCs had me wanting to tweak everything. But one day I realized that high benchmarks don't matter if the PC keeps crashing.

That's the philosophy I have now with phones, too. I don't care what AnTuTu score the phone gets. I want it to perform smoothly and have good battery life. The reason I'm not yet on Broken Out is because I don't want the CPU and GPU overclocked; I want them undervolted (I know the ROM already does this) and underclocked to save battery. If underclocked intelligently, there will be virtually no performance penalty.

That's how I roll. To each his own.

Upvote 0
I fully expect the Spectrum to be in that range when we get on ICS. It's the only thing holding us back at this point as GB does not use both cores efficiently and ICS does a better job at it.

I know we will see a big jump. This phone is a really nice phone but just needs the proper software setup to exploit it's true potential!

Upvote 0
Silly me. I thought seeing how the S4 chipset works in real life would be enough, especially considering how efficient it is.

I'm not one to put too much stock in benchmarks. I used to care when I was a kid. Building my own PCs had me wanting to tweak everything. But one day I realized that high benchmarks don't matter if the PC keeps crashing.

That's the philosophy I have now with phones, too. I don't care what AnTuTu score the phone gets. I want it to perform smoothly and have good battery life. The reason I'm not yet on Broken Out is because I don't want the CPU and GPU overclocked; I want them undervolted (I know the ROM already does this) and underclocked to save battery. If underclocked intelligently, there will be virtually no performance penalty.

That's how I roll. To each his own.

Everyone has an opinion in this but there is the truth somewhere in the mix. Some say benchmarks don't mean anything, others say they are important (me included), some say they matter some but don't really tell you much and blah blah blah.

The fact is most benchmark test do a great job at throwing a multitude of task at the hardware to complete and simply measure how fast it does it. You can take benchmark scores and translate them in to real world use and get a very good idea how that particular phone or computer is going to perform. I built gaming pc's for years and was very very involved in that world for a while and benchmarks always told you how well a certain gaming rig would perform.

If anyone can show me a phone or computer that gets a higher benchmark score yet performs worse in real world use then I would take back some of what I've said but I don't know of this situation ever happening.

Also lite, I said what I said because you started your post with "benchmark" therefore I assumed I was going to see benchmark scores for the phone. So your post was miss leading in that regard and that's why I posted what I did.

And if you want better battery life then get broken out. And you don't have to overclock it. If you want, you can underclock it like I do during the day when I'm working and not constantly using my phone. I turn it down to preserve battery. Yes the gpu comes overclocked some but it's not going to affect your battery in the sense that it's going to be worse off then it is on stock. With broken out you'll get better battery life, faster charging, smoother performance, and overall better experience. But like you said to each his own. I personally like speed and snappiness :)

Upvote 0
you can underclock it like I do during the day when I'm working and not constantly using my phone. I turn it down to preserve battery. Yes the gpu comes overclocked some but it's not going to affect your battery in the sense that it's going to be worse off then it is on stock. With broken out you'll get better battery life, faster charging, smoother performance, and overall better experience. But like you said to each his own. I personally like speed and snappiness :)

honestly mine stays between 800-1200max... and im running the sony experia home... and its snappier than my samsung fascinate overclocked to 1.6ghz

Upvote 0
Haha! I rather have the problem of deciding what ROM to choose!:D

I hope it does take off. I though hard about picking this phone. I had the HTC Rezound for a week and returned it...not for me. I was waiting for the MAXX, thought about the Razr, and the Nexus...but when I looked at all the specs, the benchmarks (I do think they tell a story), the screen, and the price ($89), it was a no brainer. I am still a little nervous hoping I made the right decision.

What is this about MIUI? I know nothing about ROM making, but I wonder if this is doable? I used MIUI on my DroidX with great success and it is currently on my Nook Color. My Spectrum already has Broken Out...

[GUIDE] How to port MIUI v4 to your Device - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Miui is a good rom. I ported it for my d2g and it was my go to before cm9.

The issue with porting for the Spectrum is the device files. It looks like Nitro figured it out, but the lib files for this phone are totally different than other lg phones, which is not common. On Motorola phones, lib files are generally the same, so porting and roming is easy.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info Mr. B.

I have another question, not sure if I should start another thread, but it is related....

Anyone has first hand experience with the Galaxy Nexus (gets lots of love) and the Spectrum? I ask because I ordered my Spectrum from Amazon and did not get a good chance to "play around" with various phones. I want to make sure I made the right decision before my return period is over. So far, I am please overall, but at times, the screen does not feel too responsive.

And, the other questions: other than donations, how can I help the community with development for the Spectrum? I am a complete noob when it comes to programing, but I am willing to learn and help anyway I can.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info Mr. B.

I have another question, not sure if I should start another thread, but it is related....

Anyone has first hand experience with the Galaxy Nexus (gets lots of love) and the Spectrum? I ask because I ordered my Spectrum from Amazon and did not get a good chance to "play around" with various phones. I want to make sure I made the right decision before my return period is over. So far, I am please overall, but at times, the screen does not feel too responsive.

And, the other questions: other than donations, how can I help the community with development for the Spectrum? I am a complete noob when it comes to programing, but I am willing to learn and help anyway I can.

If I were you I would go to a store and play around with the other phones as well. The galaxy nexus does have a lot of roms (over 20) but I still think our phone is better. The unresponsive screen seems to be fixed with the 2.3.6 update.

But if you do some research on the nexus you'll find it too has issues. The main ones being a weak speaker and dropped calls, and weak signal. I know a lot of people have returned their nexus for the spectrum, but I'm sure lots have returned their spectrum for a nexus.

Upvote 0
Thank you both for the answers! I did read and watch hundreds of reviews on both phones (not the same, but it gave me a good perspective).

Well, do I have the latest updates? Thsi is what my Spectrum shows:
Android 2.3.6
BrokenOut 2.0
SW Version VS920ZV4
Kernel 2.6.35.11-BlitzKrieg+

Yes You have the latest broken out with the v5 update. But it seems you can now get the v6 update through your pc with the verizon upgrade assistant. But you need to be on stock to do it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for verifying the info IMUcarmen.
Is there a possibility of a BrokenOut update using the latest v6 update?
I should post the question on the BrokenOut thread.

mt will release one but it's going to take him a few days I'm sure. Maybe longer. But yea just ask him on the broken out thread he may answer. but he may not lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones