• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why so few apps?

johninbigd

Coommmme to Andddddroid

Coommmme to Andddddroid lol

On the real Jay all the apps you list Android pretty much covers.

And if, you check out some of the developer site you will be blown away with how much stuff this phone really has.

I don't get why the number of apps on the Android market has been kinda slow to pick up. The iPhone's one grew so quickly :(

Still I'm gonna buy an android cause I don't like the iPhone :)

Hi RavenS0ng,

I also use BuddyRunner quite a lot (works beautifully) and it DOES track your elevation, at least indirectly. After your run has been uploaded to your dashboard, you can see this information also.

Or am i missing something here :-)

Kind regards

Daniel

I didn't realize this, but it doesn't surprise me; its such a great program. I do most of my walking in the city, so I don't have much use for elevation.

As far as apps, up until recently, there was only one Android phone. By the end of this year, most carriers will have at least one phone and it will be a much more attractive platform for developers. Android is still nowhere near a recognizable brand. Apple (and the iPhone) have had much greater visibility from day one. Expect this to change as more people start spreading the Android gospel.

As far as apps, up until recently, there was only one Android phone. By the end of this year, most carriers will have at least one phone and it will be a much more attractive platform for developers. Android is still nowhere near a recognizable brand. Apple (and the iPhone) have had much greater visibility from day one. Expect this to change as more people start spreading the Android gospel.

I guess that's true, Android only just made it to Australia on the G1 about 3 months ago and is only available on one carrier here (to my knowledge). Most people don't even know what Android is here. The magic is being released by a few carriers here at the moment which is nice to see, I think maybe Google should've done a better job of promoting the OS.

I think maybe Google should've done a better job of promoting the OS.

Keep in mind...Google is the opposite of Apple in pretty much every way.

Apple makes hardware, Google makes software.
Apple spends millions on advertising, Google spends $0. (this does not count PR, because clearly both spend on this)
Apple has a vision for exactly what they want their closed platform to look like, Google has a vision for building an open platform that is undefined by them, and others can modify.
Apple builds one product (very well.) Google builds an alliance with hardware makers to let them do what they do best.

This is the Windows vs. Mac fight of the 1990s. Windows won that round because they had a strong partnership with Intel and thousands of manufacturers and software developers.

The difference today is Google is putting all their money into developing the Android OS and the Open Handset Alliance, which will rely on their partners, HTC, Samsung, HP, Dell, Asus, Acer, Lenovo, and more to create hardware. And they are attempting to build a network of thousands of developers (like Apple has done.) Developers follow the crowds, if Android can gain the traction predicted it will have a huge audience.

Look at this simple example:
Google said they would modify Android for China Mobile. Apple said no. China Mobile has more subscribers than the USA has citizens. Enough said.

It is quite cool! It can do a number of things including:

* Record the path you take
* Show you current speed, average speed, and top speed
* Show distance traveled and time elapsed
* Show you your path on Google Maps
* Show your current latitude and longitude
* Export your path via email (very neat feature)

I just emailed them and asked if they were going to do an Android version. They said they might do so in the future, but it is not on their short-term road map.

Try SPORTYPAL I just discovered it,

I used MotionX GPS on my Iphone, and this Sportypal is similar but diferent in a way that is just a little bit more Sporty oriented

There is powerfull web site integrated with phone application, one button uppload....MotionGPX hasn't comunity/web part.

Thre is facebook integration, sent to friend, export GPX and much much more....I didn't see everything...

Most interesting about that is that this guys made the same application on Android, Iphone, Blackberry, Nokia....

I don't get why the number of apps on the Android market has been kinda slow to pick up. The iPhone's one grew so quickly :(

Still I'm gonna buy an android cause I don't like the iPhone :)

I believe because of BAD app store organization. On the web app store was a couple application.....i need to search on phone.....which make my just a little nervous

Shazam is also available... The only app I would like to see is the Facebook app, but the mobile web version is good enough.

Back
Top Bottom