• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why SPEAKERS on REAR of phone ???

That'd be cool, maybe some kind of roller ball type thing with tiny vents on that you could swivel to face back or front? Mind you, it would take up more space & look weird.

As a side note I get old & grumpy when 'kids' play music out loud from their phones on the bus. I like music; but they are listening to poor quality audio in mono :mad: :D. Same as the Beats @ Dre thing "you bought those for fashion didn't you" :rolleyes:

love the front dual speakers.. but hate the big bezel it adds to the top and bottom.

I am guessing it needs the room to get more bass sound.
i just cant live with the big bezel top and bottom... it needs to be reduced.

suggestion: make the phone thicker to get.. reduce the bezel..dual speakers facing front..still have the same volume area for sound reproduction.. and this will also allow for a bigger battery and removable battery design.. more comfort for holding.

In my opinion, it always bothered me that the phone speaker at the top is not louder and the default speaker for audio. if the bottom, or back, main speakers was moved to where the phone speaker was then it would solve the problem of muffled media and it would probably add some good directional sound

In my opinion, it always bothered me that the phone speaker at the top is not louder and the default speaker for audio. if the bottom, or back, main speakers was moved to where the phone speaker was then it would solve the problem of muffled media and it would probably add some good directional sound

A safety concern I think. The last thing you want is to be blasted by a sudden LOUD notification sound or a tune while holding the thing to your ear, as if you were in a call. It could be done, but would probably have to ensure it can't play loud if the proximity sensor was covered, e.g. holding it to your ear. Which I think could have its own problem, like if you were using a case with flap that covers the proximity sensor, it wouldn't play loud.

And if they didn't do something like that, manufacturers might be facing multi-million dollar lawsuits from customers who allegedly deafened themselves with their phones.

EDIT

I had an analogue brick dumb-phone back in the early 90s, NEC 9A, and I'm sure that did use the top ear speaker as the ringer, which was the only loud noise that phone could make, no messages, no notifications, no alarms, no music.
NEC%209A%20TR5E1320-9A.JPG

But having said all that, there is a new smart-phone that does have front speaker at the top and bottom and is intended to be loud, and we've discussed at length here on AF. The Marshall London. :thumbsupdroid:
http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/16/marshall-london-music-phone/
londonphonejt.jpg

"The loudest phone on earth"...according to Marshall.

Last edited:
Huh?

From the phones I know, speakers are usually at the ends of the device, or sometimes forward facing, depending on manufacturer. and the particular tablet or phone you've got .

Last edited:
That was a post from 2013 being quoted by a new member who simply quoted but made no comment themselves.

The whole of the discussion in this thread comes from around a decade ago, when different configurations were being tried out. IMO there are pros and cons to bottom vs front speakers: front are better if making a video call, but more likely to be muffled when ringing in your pocket.

If you care about audio quality you want headphones anyway, since even the best phone speakers are poor compared to a decent pair of headphones (in terms of speaker quality my 2013 HTC One was better than anything I've heard since, while my s21 is the worst I've had in a decade, though good enough for calls and ringing).

Back
Top Bottom