• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wi-Fi Calling

Jerry350X

Lurker
Hello everyone, I'm new here & am; posting for the first time.
Question: Does anyone know of a way that I can use my 'Owned' Wi-Fi Signàl to Enable Wi-Fi Calling on my 'Owned' Phone? Thanks
Explanation: I haven't got Cell Service inside my house. The only way for me to be able to Make &; Receive Phone Calls is through Wi-Fi Calling. My phone is what AT&T calls a 'Branded' phone, since I ordered it from 'Best Buy' & not from them. Well for that reason they won't enable WiFi Calling on my S9+.

Last edited:
For WiFi calling, a phone must be GAN(Generic Access Network) capable. And AFAIK it's only certain carrier supplied and branded phones are. Anything that's unlocked, unbranded, "owned" doesn't support GAN, and that's it I think. Pretty sure there's no way to add or enable GAN, with just an app or whatever.

I've only read about WiFi calling though, as no carriers here offer it. I have a Vodafone version Galaxy S7 from the UK, but the WiFi calling on that will not work with China Unicom.

Last edited:
Above is correct. Carrier wifi calling is part of the firmware for the official carrier-branded version of the device. It cannot be used with an unlocked or generic version of the same device and probably not with one from a different carrier either.
As mentioned you can use a third-party app such as whatsapp or Google Voice to make and receive calls over wifi, but these will require getting a separate number as they won't work with your main carrier number.

WiFi calling depend on the device and the carrier. I used WiFi calling on an unlocked non-carrier branded motorolla moto X4 (on T-Mo) so I could call and text while in Aruba. I just had to set it up before hand, which entailed enabling it on my phone and registering a 911 address. After that, I could toggle it on or off as I needed. My WiFi at work sucks, so I mostly left it off. I also have it on my non-carrier branded Pixel 3a.

AT&T's WiFi calling seems a bit more restrictive. Here is their FAQ, best I can tell they will charge you for int'l calls, but you would need to dig into their fine print.
https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/wifi-calling.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom