• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

wi-fi connection not protected

MikeHunt555

Aug 12, 2017
A couple of days ago I was trying to set up a new Android TV for my in-laws.
It involved me changing my mobile settings to try to tether my phone to the TV (unsucessfully).

Since then, back at home using my wi-fi, I keep seeing this message popup:
'wi-fi connection not protected'

I have no idea what it means, but when I try to follow the instructions, it seems to be trying to get me to pay for 'additionsl security'.

How come this has only happened since I tried to tether my phone to the TV?

Go into your Settings >> Wi-Fi menu and delete that Wi-Fi network entry. You don't need it anyway. It wasn't working out, and that's probably a good thing that it didn't. Connecting your phone to unsecured, open WiFi networks is a bad practice. Stop doing it. Seriously. Today's Internet has devolved into a toxic mess of compromises and exploits.

Where you previously attempting to cast your phone's screen to a smart TV directly or by using an existing WiFi network that the TV was already paired up with?

Upvote 0
What do you mean I don't need the wi-fi?
How else do you think I can connect to the internet?
I've been using it for five years without any issues.
If I delete it I will have no internet connection.

Regarding the Android TV, I was following the instructions it kept telling me to do. I have no idea why. There is no internet at my in-laws house for the TV.

Before I tried to connect my phone to the TV, the wi-fi connection at my house was fine, that's what I pay for every month.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A couple of days ago I was trying to set up a new Android TV for my in-laws.
It involved me changing my mobile settings to try to tether my phone to the TV (unsucessfully).

Since then, back at home using my wi-fi, I keep seeing this message popup:
'wi-fi connection not protected'

I've only seen messages similar to that when the WiFi is open
, i.e. no password. Is the WiFi WPA/WPA2 PSK protected, or is it open or WEP(which is also very insecure)?

I have no idea what it means, but when I try to follow the instructions, it seems to be trying to get me to pay for 'additionsl security'.

How come this has only happened since I tried to tether my phone to the TV?

What's trying to sell you the "additional security"? Is an app or your provider or something, like a VPN?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What do you mean I don't need the wi-fi?
How else do you think I can connect to the internet?
I've been using it for five years without any issues.
If I delete it I will have no internet connection.

Regarding the Android TV, I was following the instructions it kept telling me to do. I have no idea why. There is no internet at my in-laws house for the TV.

Before I tried to connect my phone to the TV, the wi-fi connection at my house was fine, that's what I pay for every month.

Well you initially stated that WiFi entry you created didn't work (i.e. "unsuccessfully") so since it's not working and apparently to a not safe to use without extensive protections in place WiFi network, you're better off just deleting that entry.Since it a) doesn't work out and b) is a source for random popup error messages, leaving it on your phone is pointless.
Regarding the WiFi network that you use at home, that's a different WiFI entry that uses its own configuration settings. Unless you were attempting to manually edit your home WiFi network entry to work with your in-laws smart TV, which would not work since your home network is isolated away from your in-laws home. In that case, you should delete your home WiFi network entry too, and just create a new, 'clean' one since the previous one is apparently damaged.

Upvote 0
OK, thanks for the explanation.
I got the wi-fi to 'forget' the connectiom, then restarted as I couldn'y see 'delete'.

I didn't edit that directly when I was trying to connect the Android TV.
The instructions told me to using tethering, then alter some other settings too (can't remember which, sorry).

I'll see if this stops the warning messages.
Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones