• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wi-Fi function is this how it works?

shiggity

I noticed that when I use my wi-fi at home and then leave to go out without turning off the wi-fi function, it defaults back to 3G. Then, when I return home, it kicks back to wi-fi.

Is that what happens when I leave the wi-fi function continually on? Does it drain a lot of battery if I go out and there is no wi-fi connection available?

I noticed that when I use my wi-fi at home and then leave to go out without turning off the wi-fi function, it defaults back to 3G. Then, when I return home, it kicks back to wi-fi.

Is that what happens when I leave the wi-fi function continually on? Does it drain a lot of battery if I go out and there is no wi-fi connection available?

That is how it works. When it detects a known Wi-Fi network, it will log back onto it and when it is out of range, it will default back to 3G.

For the best battery life, I would recommend turning your Wi-Fi radio off when you know you are not going to be using it. It searches for Wi-Fi networks, which uses some extra battery power, even when you are not connected to any.

WiFi get the priority when it is turned on and turns off 3G (or 4g i think) by design. Leaving WiFi on when you are out of range of a wifi spot will drain your battery substantially because it will continually look for WiFi networks.

WiFi get the priority when it is turned on and turns off 3G (or 4g i think) by design. Leaving WiFi on when you are out of range of a wifi spot will drain your battery substantially because it will continually look for WiFi networks.

This is not true. The phone does periodically check for WiFi but the battery drain is not at all substantial. It goes to sleep for a period of time before it tries checking again. It is not a constant search scenario.

This is not true. The phone does periodically check for WiFi but the battery drain is not at all substantial. It goes to sleep for a period of time before it tries checking again. It is not a constant search scenario.
The problem with that is, when I forget to turn wifi off and then come back home later I look at my phone as soon as I put my car in park and it's already connected to my home wifi. That makes me think that it searches quite often.

ALSO A QUESTION:

Does turning off Mobile Network while using wifi have any advantages or disadvantages? I've done it a few times and somehow I feel like I get better battery life, but it might be my imagination.

I don't know what the default wifi scan rate is, but it's probably once every minute. It is hardly a drain on the battery. It's not like the 3G/4G radios. 4G gets a warning notification if you leave 4G on. Wifi and bluetooth don't.

Is it a good idea to turn off wifi when not in a known wifi range? Yes, for security purposes and a very little power conservation. Mostly security. Same for bluetooth. Those two radios hardly take much power.

This varies by technology. No way I'd consider driving down the road with wifi left on with my Evo - buh bye battery was my experience. On my wife's Shift, wifi is never off and battery is always fine (and she's all over the place for work). And on the Shift, we leave GPS and 3G always on too.

I've yet to see if the 3D is so bad on wifi power, but being newer tech, I'll bet it's not a lot.

Anyway, with the pull-down notification access, it's not a big deal to control.

I never turn off wifi or bluetooth. Thus far today: Bluetooth 1% (not connected to anything outside of the 20 minute commute to work). Wifi: 6% with intermittent connectivity and streaming Pandora / GMusic when connected.

Of course, but can the 3vo even auto connect to any open wifi? I don't see that anywhere in the wifi setup. I see network notification, which I have off.

This varies by technology. No way I'd consider driving down the road with wifi left on with my Evo - buh bye battery was my experience. On my wife's Shift, wifi is never off and battery is always fine (and she's all over the place for work). And on the Shift, we leave GPS and 3G always on too.

I've yet to see if the 3D is so bad on wifi power, but being newer tech, I'll bet it's not a lot.

Anyway, with the pull-down notification access, it's not a big deal to control.

I never turned off WiFi on my OG EVO and it burned an average of 1% battery an hour while sleeping (gingerbread). That's on 3G but with WiFi turned on and "searching".

The same behavior results in similarly awesome standby battery life on the EVO 3D.

I think having to manually toggle WiFi on/off is what I consider battery paranoid behavior that results in a lot of extra work for the user for negligible and insignificant savings in battery life.

If you are going to a three day concert and know you aren't going to be around one of your saved access points for a while then sure, turn it off. Just going to work and coming back for the day? Waste of your time. But to each his own.

Yes, where is this option?

The open network notification can be found in Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings.

I don't think there is an autoconnect to open network option. Which would be a good choice considering the security implications.

Maybe it is just a case of your mileage may vary but the drain on my battery with WiFi on but not connected vs off is significant (for me). I left WiFi on all morning as a drove around and did my normal Monday appointments starting at 8 AM. I answered 10 texts and one two minute phone call and started the day at 100%. I am now at 68% battery whereas normally I would be around 85 to 90% battery at this time of day with low use.

The open network notification can be found in Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings.

I don't think there is an autoconnect to open network option. Which would be a good choice considering the security implications.

Oh OK. EarlyMon was mentioning something about an auto-connect feature. I am aware of the open network notification.

Back
Top Bottom