• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Widget Trouble

I think I have a widget problem. I'm running ICS on the Droid Bionic. WHen I go to the applications and select widgets I get a "Homescreen has stopped." message when I scroll through a few pages.

I suspect one of my widgets is corrupt, but I have no idea which one. Any ideas on how to identify and remove the culprit?

Thanks

Welcome to Android Forums.

Did you try a Reset?

With power On hold down volume Up/Volume Down/Power at the same time. You can see that it then starts to boot up.

An alternative that achieves the same end is to take off the back, remove the battery, replace the battery, replace the cover, turn the Bionic back on. (When the battery is out, check that the SD-Ext card and SIM card are squarely and firmly seated.

I was assuming you were using the default launcher. What launcher are you using?

... Thom

I haven't tried a reset, but I've turned the phone off and back on again. No change in behavior.

Yes, I'm using the default launcher. I wouldn't even know how to change it.

Thanks for the quick response.

It was suggested that you try checking that the sim and SD card are seated correctly... you didn't mention doing this so I guess you didn't try it yet...

I hadn't tried that. I never remove either one (in fact I never remove the back) so I didn't see how they could become loose. Still, I thought I should try it just for completeness. No Joy. Same behavior. I also tried removing a number of apps that have widgets associated just in case I get lucky. Again no improvement.

It's interesting because it always happens on the same page, but I've managed to remove or disable all the widgets that were originally on that page. So now it does the same things, but with different widgets. Weird.

It was suggested that you try checking that the sim and SD card are seated correctly... you didn't mention doing this so I guess you didn't try it yet...

Whatever you decide in this case is up to you.

For the future. I recommend that you get yourself into a position where a Factory Data Reset is unpleasant but you know it will be over in 30 minutes and back to normal.

Reasons ...

All major system upgrades really need to be followed by a Factory Data Reset. Not doing so is asking for a lot of trouble.
If .... god forbid ... your Bionic is lost or stolen you could recover quickly to the backup you have in place.

This problem is pretty weird. Was it perhaps root-ed in the past and is now un-root-ed?

... Thom

Having to reset up the screens, wallpaper, accounts, blah, blah, blah, will never (for me) be just 30 minutes of unpleasantness. That's the main reason I'm still running ICS and have avoided the upgrade to JB.

The phone has been rooted (for Titanium Backup). I keep it unrooted with Voodoo OTA RootKeeper unless I need to run the backup. It still has the original ROM and Recovery.

It has been rooted for a long time, but just started this behavior in the last month or so.

I agree its weird, but I doubt root has anything to do with it.

Whatever you decide in this case is up to you.

For the future. I recommend that you get yourself into a position where a Factory Data Reset is unpleasant but you know it will be over in 30 minutes and back to normal.

Reasons ...

All major system upgrades really need to be followed by a Factory Data Reset. Not doing so is asking for a lot of trouble.
If .... god forbid ... your Bionic is lost or stolen you could recover quickly to the backup you have in place.

This problem is pretty weird. Was it perhaps root-ed in the past and is now un-root-ed?

... Thom

I don't think that root has anything to do with it also but I think that you would benefit from following Thom's suggestion and do an FDR. I agree it sucks to set your phone up again but it would do wonders. If you are considering doing this think about taking the OTA to JB also.

Good luck

With the Factory Data Reset I argued against it for about two years. What a crock. Then ICS came along and it was clear that it was mandatory. Then Jelly Bean and also mandatory.

I've now done the Factory Data Reset four times due to various versions and various tests and there are two things I will guarantee to anyone ...

(1) you will discard a lot of junk you just never got around to and will be "cleaner".

(2) it is easier each time you do it.

As for this problem ... root-ing or not ... I would not rule it out. When it was root-ed there may have been a human error that introduced a problem and it took months before it ever showed up.

I am not arguing that this is the case. I am suggesting that it is a NEW possibility that wasn't considered.

... Thom

Back
Top Bottom