• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Widgets that lets you switch between 2G & 3G?

Is there a widget that allows easy switching between 2G and 3G networks? I dont have auto mode on as it wastes a tonne of battery so would love to have a widget that will let me switch between the 2 without having to go into the menu's.

EDIT: Never mind, seems google dont allow these sorts of apps for some reason. I got one that takes me straight to the network screen so thats good enough.

Have you tried widgetsoid? You have to set the toggles yourself, but I think 2G/3G is one of the options...

I tried to do this in widgetsoid a while ago, before 3G became available at home and as far as I could tell, the only way to do it was a link to settings the same as the other suggestion. There may be a setting I was missing though

I tried to do this in widgetsoid a while ago, before 3G became available at home and as far as I could tell, the only way to do it was a link to settings the same as the other suggestion. There may be a setting I was missing though

Odd, I noticed that you can set up the selection (2G/3G) directly in the network options. Just a quick tick on the selection. Even have 4G option.

I've just had another look at this, and it seems to work the same way as when I used to use it. If you tick the box in the widgetsoid settings to create a switcher widget , it will create a widget that shows you what you are currently on, but selecting the widget will not switch it, it will just take you to the network page of the system settings. From this you can select the network mode. Basically, it wont switch it, its just a shortcut to the menu where you can.

W%20config.png

Settings%20menu.png

Network%20mode.png

Perhaps it will let you toggle it from the widget if you were rooted?

Guess it just means its a faster short cut. I actually never used it since I set up an on/off toggle for data line instead. 2G isn't much use (too slow for going online) except for MMS and I don't get many MMS. For me, its a lot cheaper to use Whatsapp.

Cheers

2G isn't much use ..

2G saves battery on voice calls because of the low bandwdith. You don't really need 3G or 4G for always-connected apps like facebook, whatsapp, twitter or email client, the bandwidth requirements are relatively low until you ofcourse you download a full size pic. 2G is cheaper than 3G or 4G in most countries and offer cheap unlimited usage on some plans.

Switching off 3G can increase your battery drain as the phone is constantly uploading and downloading information.

Taken from my post, here...

What this means in practice is that when your phone is awake and receiving data, it is connected a lot longer on EDGE than HSDPA. For instance, if we both connected to our respective networks and downloaded 10MB of data, my phone would be awake and connected for a little over a second and if I were sending the same amount of data, 10MB, it would be awake for about 4 seconds. Compare this to the EDGE transfer speeds and the same Download for you would be 81 seconds and for upload, about 68 seconds.

So, you can see from this that on the EDGE signal, your phone is awake and active considerably longer than it would be on HSDPA. This means that when you are sending/receiving data you are using more battery life.

Back
Top Bottom