• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi connection cutting out

evan95

Lurker
Hello,

My Nexus S has had problems with the wifi the last couple days. It works for a few minutes when I turn the phone on, but then it randomly cuts out and doesn't work. I installed "wifi fixer" app which solves the problem, but it has to reset the internet every 1 - 2 minutes, which is a pain in the ass. The only thing i have done to the phone is install ICS a month or so ago, and it worked perfectly up until now. Running android version 4.0.4. I have also done a factory reset to the phone which did not solve anything.

Thanks in advance for any help

Test to ensure the problem is the phone and not the access point. Try phone on a different known good access point and see if the same connection issue behavior manifests. As far as the wifi fixer app I am skeptical of its value.

Thanks for the reply,

I don't think it's the access point because other devices are working fine on this internet connection, including my mothers nexus s. However, I'll see if I can find another wifi access point to connect to today, just in case. And the wifi fixer app just seems to disconnect the phone from the wifi, turn the wifi off, wait, turn it back on and then it works again...but only for a few minutes tops.

Does your phone support WiFi Direct? If so, connect to your mother's Nexus S using WiFi Direct, and move observe the connection status, see if it stays connected. WiFi Direct uses the WiFi radio as well. This test could confirm the radio itself. Your mother's phone being present gives you a nice control for experimentation. Also, you are correct in that if your mother's Nexus S is connecting solidly to the same AP, it is likely not an issue with the AP.

Back
Top Bottom