• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WIFI Connection

elgecko

Android Enthusiast
How is others Elites connecting to there WIFI?
Mine at home can take 2 to 4 minutes to connect. I usually have to hit the scan button to finally get a connection.
At work it hooks up in seconds.
The thing I'm thinking is my SSID is hidden at home. Going to unhide it shortly and see if it connects quicker.....
Does anyone else hide their SSID, and does the phone connect quickly?

I have the same issue with my Elite at home. The SSID Broadcast is also disabled on my router. My Optimus V under the same conditions always connects within 15 to 30 seconds, but the Elite takes for ever and sometimes it does not connect at all.

Mine seems to connect pretty quickly. Have you tried forgetting the network and then readding it?

I have issues as well (outside the Error 67). But Home wifi router (Belkin something600) works great, but no go on my Samsung Verizon Hotspot. It connects for a second and then disconnects continuously.

Selecting "Use static IP" on the Elite seems to help with connecting to my router while the SSID broadcast is disabled. It is now consistent and connects every time, but it still takes about 30 seconds or so to make the connection, which is more or less in line with how long it takes the Optimus V to connect. bobloadmire had suggested that disabling the SSID broadcast does not offer any additional security, so I did some research and I believe he is right, so now I have enabled my SSID broadcast and the Elite as well as the OV connect within seconds. It could be my imagination, but it seems that all my devices have faster/stronger connections now. I wonder if enabling the SSID broadcast also improves Elites' battery usage while on WIFI.

Even while SSID broadcast is disabled, it does still broadcast the SSID. Any hacker that could hack into your password or encryption is going to be able to get your SSID.

Mine connects pretty much immediately, but sometimes it won't obtain an IP address. I have the same problem with my OV and my iPod touch though, so I suspect that is a problem with my router and not the phone.

Hey guys. My SSID is hidden. Every time I return home, it says my router isn't in range. How can I set up the phone to automatically connect/remember this? I know all my past HTC phones had zero problems connecting to this because I had the "Remember this" connection feature.

Hey guys. My SSID is hidden. Every time I return home, it says my router isn't in range. How can I set up the phone to automatically connect/remember this?
Start by unhiding the SSID. It offers no extra security and actually causes your device to broadcast the SSID even when not connected.

I can connect to local Wi-Fi but not at home with my "clear" modem. I've tried messing with the setting but to no avail. any ideas?

Since hiding your SSID is not more secure when using WPA2, I don't. At home, my OE connects to WiFi in under 5 seconds. Hardly any time spent scanning before it finds my home network and automatically successfully (and fully) connects in under 5.
Same goes for B&N when I use their free WiFi.
And same for any other network I've saved.

It seems that hiding the SSID is what causes the problem - which actually isn't a bad thing, as it just deters you from doing something pointless.

my wi-fi on my elite keeps saying 'disabled' i connect to my router fine. 10 minutes later go back to my phone, and wifi is on, but my ssid says "Disabled secured by WPA2" or something like that. this is very intermittent, some days i dont have the problem at all. i've tried rebooting the router. i have 8 other devices on my wifi that dont have this problem. my OV didnt have this problem. my wife's elite also has this problem though. i've also tried static ip. that didnt seem to take though, since the ip address i assigned it wasnt the ip address given to it.

Probobly your router. The Elite doesn't seem to get along with all routers. You can try power cycling router or even a reset to see if it helps.

My Elite will connect fine to Netgear and Linksys but doesn't like Belkin

Make sure your SSID is being broadcast. Try forgetting the network on the Elite and readding it. Change your wifi sleep policy to never (menu button in wifi settings go into advanced settings).

Have you checked your QOS settings? Routers don't generally give a high priority to phones as they do per say a high powered laptop. If you've got eight devices, that couldnt help. Or maybe your signal is getting distorted with all of the wifi airwaves shooting around, the elites wifi antenna isn't very big.

ssid is broadcast. sleep policy is never. i'ver tried cycling the router, that may help but i havent noticed really. i have thought of putting the router on a timer, and cycle it off in the middle of the night. it's an actiontec/fios. i dont think it is a signal issue, i am usually right next to it.
i just dont understand what it means to be 'disabled' and havent really seen that discussed anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom