• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

wifi hotspot apps for net10 lg optimus net

rdeeds

Lurker
Hello. i have had my net10 lg optimus net for a while now and i know that i can tether my computer to it and get internet, but is there an app out there that will allow me to use it for a hotspot? i have tried some but they usually require that i already have the ability on the phone and i do not. i do not know how to root my device and can not use the apps that require me to have root access. can anyone help?

Well... I think it's still against this forum's rules to talk about how you can violate your carrier's rules and essentially steal WiFi tethering (a.k.a. "Hotspot") functionality, so I'm certainly not going to do that. But I can tell you from personal experience on the Optimus S, that it used to be possible to do WiFi tethering using an app called QuickSettings (by Sergez Shaferenka), but once Sprint found out that people were cheating, Sprint pushed out an "update" to the phones which prevented that app from providing free Hotspot tethering. I would guess that Net10 has also closed that loophole.

Later FoxFi came out with an app that enabled free Hotspot. Apparently when Sprint found out, they had Google kick FoxFi off of the Google Play Store or at least de-list the Optimus S as "compatible". But Optimus S users could still download the app from the FoxFi website (FoxFi.com) and install it using a file manager app like ES File Explorer. Now FoxFi has been acquired by PDANet, but they still offer the app as a free download on their website.

It is possible that Net10 could release an update that would kill FoxFi, but at this point the Optimus is so outdated that I doubt they'd bother.

Many of us Optimus S owners have rooted our phones and installed custom ROMs which have Hotspot functionality built-in (not that we would use such functionality). Others who root their phones could probably find lots of tethering apps.

I'm happy to tell you about the history, but I hope nothing that I've said would lead you to go to the FoxFi.com website to download and install the Hotspot tethering app.

Back
Top Bottom