• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wifi Tethering, has anyone "actually" been caught?

Hi all, Love the site! I lurk here on the hour during new rom releases and I had to register and post due to this thread. I work for VZW and I can clear some of this up. Oh and like VZW can really do anything to you for what you post here...you are using a screen name right? lol

Tethering is not a feature possible (officially) yet on the droid so therefore using any 3rd party or hacked rom to tether is violating the terms and conditions. The main reason it isn't a feature yet is because of how hard it is to lock it down or control it.

All the numbers are wrong here.....25 cents/MB?? Dont listen to store reps lol They only know how to sell and let all the rest of us deal with the aftermath on the phones...IF you had an actual tethering feature on an account and went over the 5GB cap then you would be subject to .05/mb overage rate....thats if you have a feature.

Now. Without a feature if you can still tether (of course we can) you are using MB 1.99/min technically because should the system audit your account (random) it will see your data and your tethered data differently. It isn't hard to see the difference between mobile compressed data compared to true data through a computer. Then the system simply charges you per megabyte for that data and there is nothing you can do because you cant say " I forgot to add the feature..." what feature??

Pyschokitty said it best "It's their sandbox"

This doesn't happen often yet, the audits, but if you go high enough you force them to do it. I have seen a $19,000.00 charge for data from a DROID (1.99/MB)...we gave her 50% credit even though it was a violation...please people its very true the power users destroy it for all of us. 7+ GBs per month on questionable tethering??? you people are crazy:p If I take your call when the bill hits I hope I can help:)

Power users on AT&T single handedly changed thier data pricing...sadly our power users may as well

Upvote 0
I work for the big V and i see pull up hundreds of accounts every day. EVERYTHING is tracked. For those of you who have a MBB plan, every kilobyte is tracked the same as minutes. If you go over the 5g, it's a nickel a MB. It will show up on your bill the same as overage in minutes. Had some douche the other day who took his laptop to Mexico, dowloaded a shit ton, where it's a little over 5 bucks a mB, came back to a $35,000 bill.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I work for the big V and i see pull up hundreds of accounts every day. EVERYTHING is tracked. For those of you who have a MBB plan, every kilobyte is tracked the same as minutes. If you go over the 5g, it's a nickel a MB. It will show up on your bill the same as overage in minutes. Had some douche the other day who took his laptop to Mexico, dowloaded a shit ton, where it's a little over 5 bucks a mB, came back to a $35,000 bill.

haha yeah it's tracked alright. Dear good how long was he in Mexico?? its .002/kb in Canada/Mexico......He was either there a good while, or completely forgot to take a f** vacation. I'm going to throw out the possibility of being there on business because I would like to ASSUME he would be savvy enough to understand the concept of United States and NOT United States.

For those not employed by the V....If you lived on the border of Canada and Michigan for example, the towers will exactly identify:thinking: data used on tower in country and not ( Seen a number of border issues with towers) ... whether on a phone or mobile broadband so the system is quite able to pick it out, the fact is it isnt being targeted because it isnt part of the official pricing tiers, but due to illegitimate usage thats changing fast..

Upvote 0
Yeah, he was there for a month. It was actually a celebrity, can't say who, but you know him. Unfortunately the fail sales rep didn't fully explain the usage on our MBB service, dude thought it was unlimited everywhere i guess. We of course cleared it and told him to be careful. People are crazy, i pulled one up last week, Mommy called with a bill in her hand just raaaaagginnn. Her 14 year old daughter had a $5 message pack on her phone (250 a month, sent and received) and she managed to do i little over 50,000 messages in one month. Thats over 1600 a bloody day. I couldn't do that if i tried. The part that i really couldn't wrap my brain around was she also managed to use up around 300 minutes. Luckily Mom called me about 2 days before her billing cycle. If you bump anything up in price, we will back date it to yer last cycle fer ya.

Upvote 0
Yeah, he was there for a month. It was actually a celebrity, can't say who, but you know him. Unfortunately the fail sales rep didn't fully explain the usage on our MBB service, dude thought it was unlimited everywhere i guess. We of course cleared it and told him to be careful. People are crazy, i pulled one up last week, Mommy called with a bill in her hand just raaaaagginnn. Her 14 year old daughter had a $5 message pack on her phone (250 a month, sent and received) and she managed to do i little over 50,000 messages in one month. Thats over 1600 a bloody day. I couldn't do that if i tried. The part that i really couldn't wrap my brain around was she also managed to use up around 300 minutes. Luckily Mom called me about 2 days before her billing cycle. If you bump anything up in price, we will back date it to yer last cycle fer ya.

How in the hell do you do 50k text messages a month... I thought I texted a lot....

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Upvote 0
Gpaint thanks for explaining how the big V is actually tracking this stuff. Since 2.2 will bring tethering I'm certain they are about to pull an AT&T on us. If people on these forums are considering abusive tethering I can only imagine what some average Droid users out there are trying to do with their 3g through PDA Net...it's only going to get worse when USB tether in common place.

I tether myself but only in spurts when I have no connection(DSL outtage) and even then I only view webpages, no downloads or streams. I hope verizon adds a true unlimited package with wifi tether, the premium would be worth it for those without access to DSL or Cable.

Upvote 0
I hope verizon adds a true unlimited package with wifi tether, the premium would be worth it for those without access to DSL or Cable.
Would be nice but Verizons CEO already said there will be no umlimited plan for LTE. Sucks for rural users like me who wouldn't mind being able to stream a netflix movie or use slingbox.

As far as the 2.2 tether there will be a 2gb cap ( wireless tether only ) for $20...You still have Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones (personal email) plan. So thats 49.99 for your data if you want to tether ( wireless ) on your android 2.2 phone.

I have used over 5gb each month since january. Id say 0.5 gb a month being tether.

Upvote 0
There's a 99% chance that Verizon will NOT do anything if you illegally tether (as in not pay for the service and use a 3rd party app). Here's a user from another forum I go to that used 100 GBs one month on his Droid X and wasn't penalized whatsoever:

100gbverizon.png

If that doesn't catch their eye, then I don't think anything will :p. Anything any Verizon rep says about not going over a certain amount is just making stuff up. I personally have went over 7 GBs a few times (in the middle of moving and didn't have an ISP) which no issues at all too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones