• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wifi tethering used to work. Now it won't!

myst1c

Lurker
So recently I picked up an Acer Iconia a500. I love it, but it's wifi only, and i want wifi everywhere. Back when I first got my Droid, I used wifi tethering all the time, and it worked fine. I moved, and I didn't have much of a need for wifi tethering because i had internet again.

So yesterday I wiped my data and cache, installed bugless beast, and now my wifi tethering won't work. I'll open either barnacle or wifi tether, and everything will be good and the phone says it's working, but i'm not able to find the wireless network that it is supposedly emitting.

Bluetooth tethering is also an option, as long as i can get something to work. i have intentions to integrate the tab into my car, but it will be useless without the internet for me.

Help me please, androidforums!

So recently I picked up an Acer Iconia a500. I love it, but it's wifi only, and i want wifi everywhere. Back when I first got my Droid, I used wifi tethering all the time, and it worked fine. I moved, and I didn't have much of a need for wifi tethering because i had internet again.

So yesterday I wiped my data and cache, installed bugless beast, and now my wifi tethering won't work. I'll open either barnacle or wifi tether, and everything will be good and the phone says it's working, but i'm not able to find the wireless network that it is supposedly emitting.

Bluetooth tethering is also an option, as long as i can get something to work. i have intentions to integrate the tab into my car, but it will be useless without the internet for me.

Help me please, androidforums!

Welcome to Android Forums!

Typically, if you are having wifi tether issues, it is due to the kernel that you are using not being compatible with your phone.

Are you using the kernel that came with BB? Have you tried flashing a different kernel?

Kratos

honeycomb's kernel does not support ad-hoc mode networks. the wifitether from the OG droid is an ad-hoc network.

Rooting and replacing the wpa supplicant with an altered one supposedly works to give ad-hoc support to the tab, but I haven't done it (i have the iconia also). I have the exact same issue but I'm about to get a new phone so I'm not going to bother, there are phones that can create infrastructure mode networks, so I'm just going to find one that will do that and go with it.

Just got it done on my galaxy tab this morning. Takes a bit of time but you will have to root the tab. Search on xda you should be able to find a way.

Back
Top Bottom