• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Will Beta 3 Marshmallow 6.0 get official OTA pushed?

ShanDroyd

Jun 11, 2011
I am running an unlocked Nexus 6, with boot loader unlocked, and rooted to install official beta 3 Android 6.0.
Phone is set up fully stock, nothing frozen or removed, and even though it was rooted to install this update, there are no root apps on phone, and no "unlocked" icon at boot up.

When the official Marshmallow Android 6.0 launches in a few days, will I be able to get OTA update, or will I have to download it, and manually install it with a recovery software?

Thank You everyone!

Okay, a two part answer to your one part question: no, I do not believe you will get a OTA update for a preview installation of Android "M" (6.0/Marshmallow).

The reason(s) for this are:

1. You are rooted: installing root changes system files that the verification part of the OTA installation would detect as different from non-stock files and would not allow the OTA to begin to install.

2. Secondly, it looks like the OTAs are not checking for the development/preview build numbers (MPA44I, etc.) and are only checking for allowable Lollipop (Android 5.x) build numbers (LMY48W, LVY48H, etc..) and/or the official 6.0 build number "MRA58K". I didn't look at all of the OTA's updater-script files, but the N5 one is only checking the LMY48M (most recent 5.x build) and the MRA58K build. The first N6 OTA is only checking for LMY48M build number.

The http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/06/download-marshmallow-ota-nexus-mra58k/site is also referencing the to/from build numbers for the available OTAs (part 2 for the N6 is not yet listed).

BTW, you can see your build number in your 6.0 preview from Settings -> About phone -> Build number (all the way at the bottom of the scrolling list/output).

Hope that helps!

:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones