• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

windows or linux emulator

hiattech

Lurker
My wife recently bought a Note 10.1 and she loves it. Just yesterday, her laptop died. She really only used it for many things that she can do on her tablet anyway, except for a couple things. We like to play Minecraft as a family on a server we have. I know there is minecraft pocket edition, however (as far as I know) it doesn't offer the ability to connect to a PC server.

So my question is, is there a half decent emulator for either Linux or Windows out there? I've been doing some digging and found a windows, Linux emulator, but any image I add to the list it says isn't valid. So, does anyone have any info I could use for this? These Notes are built with some pretty good specs so I can't imagine that it'd be hard to get a Linux emulator to run Minecraft.

Android is Linux although it is quite different to many of the distributions you may be familiar with such as Ubuntu.

Emulating OSs basically doesn't work (if you have ever struggled with Wine on Linux you will know what I mean) and running an OS in a virtual machine isn't possible because there isn't any virtual machine software (e.g. VMware, VirtualBox or Fusion) available for Android unfortunately.

The closest you will get is running say Ubuntu in a chroot environment and accessing it using VNC but this is not for the faint of heart (or technically inexperienced).

[Edit] It turns out that I was wrong about the lack of VM apps. There is at least one in Google Play called "Windows, Linux, Unix Emulator". It's not an OS emulator despite the name. It's QEMU for Android. Whether you will be able to run Minecraft on a VM is somewhat debatable. I'd be surprised if you got a smooth experience but nevertheless, it is possible in principle. If you try it, let us know how you get on.

Back
Top Bottom