• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wipe Cache Partition

I Wipe Cache Partitions every Saturday. I just did it on two phones ...
  • Droid Turbo 64GB - 9 minutes
  • Droid Maxx 32GB - 9 minutes
... this is the worst I have ever seen.

... Thom

I've to have wiping my Cache on a weekly basis on all of my Android devices. The Droid Turbo seems to take the longest out of all of them :(

It deletes all temporary data and does not touch permanent data or application settings.

There may be a poorly implemented app that does not save data properly and as a result it gets lost. I have heard reports in the past where progress data in some games was lost. I have not heard those reports recently.

The single biggest problem Android has in performance that was always referred to as "lag" is caused by a corrupted cache and corrected by wiping it.

... Thom

It deletes all temporary data and does not touch permanent data or application settings.

There may be a poorly implemented app that does not save data properly and as a result it gets lost. I have heard reports in the past where progress data in some games was lost. I have not heard those reports recently.

The single biggest problem Android has in performance that was always referred to as "lag" is caused by a corrupted cache and corrected by wiping it.

... Thom

GoThanks

... Thom

Does that mean that user names and passwords are deleted?

I have never had that problem.

The only problems I have ever seen reported are from people who are into games (I'm not) and data was being maintained form session to session showing progress. The Wipe Cache Partition deleted the data.

The last time I recall reading that complaint was about 18 months ago.

I personally have never had the problem.

I think some app developers were having some growing pains and hopefully it is no longer a problem for anyone.

If you have one of those old games and never updated it then you might encounter this old problem. I think the probability is pretty low.

... Thom

30 minutes is weird. The worst I have had on a Turbo 64GB is 10 minutes. I would be interested in hearing the results the next time you do it to see if it is less.

... Thom

I rarely do cache wipes on my Droid Maxx - only when my phone crashes - and the last two times that I did them, they were11 minutes and 19 minutes. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they take so long.

It'll be interesting to see if Motorola has changed the cache wipe for Lollipop to make it back to being realtively instant again.

30 minutes is weird. The worst I have had on a Turbo 64GB is 10 minutes. I would be interested in hearing the results the next time you do it to see if it is less.

... Thom

I did it again this morning, it was right at 10 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom