• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wireless not turning off?

kilgetty

Android Lollipop v5.0.1
I have my WiFi set to turn off when asleep, the Nexus is fitted in a case with a flap that when closed across the screen turns the screen off (I assume this is asleep). But even when asleep I get a little chime to tell me I have an email, why is this able to do that when the WiFi is turned off?
I am using the standard GMail app that was pre-installed.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You don't need WiFi to get the notification. Notifications can be pushed over any data connection, even if the only one active is 2G.

Do you have it setup to check email at certain intervals? It would turn on WiFi to do that.
Hi Crashdamage, I hadn't set up GMail up to check for emails but I have just looked in settings and turned "Sync mail" off. I do not know yet if this helps or what will happen when I turn on again.

Android Lollipop v5.0.1
I have my WiFi set to turn off when asleep, the Nexus is fitted in a case with a flap that when closed across the screen turns the screen off (I assume this is asleep). But even when asleep I get a little chime to tell me I have an email, why is this able to do that when the WiFi is turned off?
I am using the standard GMail app that was pre-installed.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
When you signed in to android initially, you must have said yes to "some google apps will check for WiFi even when its off."

When you signed in to android initially, you must have said yes to "some google apps will check for WiFi even when its off."

Hi Madbat, Thank you for your suggestion, I do not recall signing up for anything other than GMail. I have checked in the Running apps list in settings and there does not appear to be anything running that should not be.

Hi Madbat, Thank you for your suggestion, I do not recall signing up for anything other than GMail. I have checked in the Running apps list in settings and there does not appear to be anything running that should not be.
Its not an app. Its a google service. Its when you sign in to your phone initially (setup wizard) you can try signing out and signing back in.

Its not an app. Its a google service. Its when you sign in to your phone initially (setup wizard) you can try signing out and signing back in.

I have stopped Gmail from messing me around by switching Airplane mode on just before I close the case.

Back
Top Bottom