• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Won't download any apps or updates

My phone refuses to download any apps or updates through Android Market. This has happened for the past few months, as far as I know, but I didn't care too much before since I don't really use apps. I always get the error message "Download of ____ was unsuccessful. Please try again."

I have a host of problems that are all interconnected. My number 1 priority is to be able to back up my SMS messages. I haven't deleted a single one in almost two years, and they have a lot of sentimental value to me. The easiest way to do this is via an SMS back app.

However, I can't get ANY apps to download, and other ways to get apps on your phone without the market require an app itself to get started, which I can't get. It's not a matter of phone space. I still have 84 MB free on my phone and 1.5 GB free on my SD card.

I've tried methods to get rid of the error message, including clearing caches/data, restarting my phone, changing between 3G and WiFi, logging in and out of Gtalk, etc. Nothing has worked.

I don't have the Google Play app because my phone is still Android 2.1. I want to upgrade, so that's why I want to backup my messages. And I can't upgrade my Android Market to the Google Play store unless I have Android 2.2 or higher.

Basically....is there any way to get an app on my phone without using the Market AT ALL? Or a way to back up SMS messages without an app?

Sorry for the long post but I think I'm going insane.

Back
Top Bottom