• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Worst Apps

Ok we already have a sticky for the best apps, but since Google doesn't do a great job at policing Google Play shouldn't we have a list of developers/apps that one should be scared off. Cause the star system doesn't do a good job of that. I will start with

The Brightest Flashlight Free, which has great ratings and reviews but blocks Lookout and sometimes put Adware on your phone. As well as asks for Storage permission, network and phones calls.

The next is the developer Freeandroidbooks, which has ad-ware push notifications and has the ability to modify your SD Card.

Last is Facebook which I heard was a resource hog. But I haven't seen it. Thanks.

For a flashlight, I downloaded Swiss Army Knife. It has one, along with some other handy tools.

The Facebook app has always been a real pig. Historically very sluggish and builds up a ton of data cache. The new version 1.9 is a bit faster, but they added more crap to it, so it's now a bigger file. Plus, it puts a few extra icons (for camera and messaging) in your icon tray.

There are plenty of other dogs out there, but I uninstalled them and pretty much forgotten them. One I can think of is the Radio.com/Yahoo! Radio app (both the same), which for a long time was utterly useless. It's currently the only way to listen to most CBS-owned radio stations (like KROQ or WXRT), since last year when they pulled them off TuneIn. There are also genre and artist-based streams. But as cool as an all-Metallica station might sound, there was no way to get it to play! And 32K mono? Get real!

They redesigned the app last fall, and added higher quality streams (that still didn't sound all that great). Main problem then was even less stability! but it would never pull up the stations, would stop abruptly (requiring a restart) and the streams sounded crappy. Forget about the genre or artist-based stations.

Finally, after six months of nothing but complaints, CBS finally fixed the apps, and while they're somewhat better, the performance, stability and stations' sound quality is still mediocre (especially compared to the similar IHeartRadio, which is actually a really good app). And just recently, CBS allowed TuneIn to start streaming their news, talk and sports stations again (unfortunately no music stations yet). I think they're close to giving up the whole app game. CBS knows nothing about the internet, as we've all seen how CNET took a dive since they bought it.

Upvote 0
I think worst apps includes any app that is impossible or very difficult to uninstall from your phone after you install it. At this moment, I can't recall what apps fall under this category but I know there are several out there, perhaps including Skype.

Not true, Cerberus is kind of hard to get rid cause you have to do some reading to do so. But that is because of what it is able to do and what it job is.

Upvote 0
SpringPad!

They were one of the best apps on Android. I can't believe how they ruined it will the 3.0 upgrade!

I know. I was like using Springpad one day, having migrated a lot of my stuff from Evernote to it because I like the interface better, then one day I was like WTF?! And is again seriously considering migrating back to evernote. The old UI was already awesome, dafuq.

Upvote 0
I nominate Catan for worst app (it's a game). If you played it you would understand. I am very mad I wasted money on it.

The app has more then 3 star rating looks like you fell a victim of an App being good on other devices like tablets and even IOS and not working well on your device. There are actually people saying how much they like it on there IPAD and someone saying that you have to pay another $4 for the other features.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones