• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WTF is going on with my phone's Wi-Fi?

Brooklynite

Lurker
Oct 15, 2016
Hello everybody
I have a HTC 10 from T-Mobile and I am having problems connecting to the Wi-Fi in certain areas of my house (Specifically my room). It shows it is connected to the internet does not work for some reason but it works for other devices like my laptop, PS4, other phones, etc. However, my phone's Wi-Fi connection works in other areas in my house but it doesn't work in my room.
Can someone please tell me what is happening?

Hello everybody
I have a HTC 10 from T-Mobile and I am having problems connecting to the Wi-Fi in certain areas of my house (Specifically my room). It shows it is connected to the internet does not work for some reason but it works for other devices like my laptop, PS4, other phones, etc. However, my phone's Wi-Fi connection works in other areas in my house but it doesn't work in my room.
Can someone please tell me what is happening?

Hi, welcome to Android Forums.

It might be worth checking what frequency band your M10 is using. I had a similar problem with my M9. Set to 'Auto' it would sometimes connect to a weak 5.0Ghz signal instead of a strong 2.4Ghz signal depending on where in the house I happened to be. Force connecting to 2.4Ghz gave a good internet connection.

;)

Upvote 0
You can also try a WiFi analyser to see what the strength of your signal is in your problematic room.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

Try it on each device to see whether it's a device specific issue or a network issue. You can also check that the router is on the least crowded channel for best performance.

Like others have said, extenders are the way to go nowadays, simply plug them into a socket and whoop full strength signal.

Reactions: Bg260 and psionandy
Upvote 0
... extenders are the way to go nowadays, simply plug them into a socket and whoop full strength signal.
That's physically impossible. WiFi only provides an asynchronous signal, that is it's a transmit or receive transfer. Unlike a wired connection (as with an Ethernet cable) that are duplex (simultaneously transmit and receive), WiFi always steps down the overall bandwidth. The difference is defined by milliseconds but the more WiFi devices you daisy-chain together, the more the signal at the last point of the chain will be stepped down. Extenders are fed off of the WiFi signal put out by wireless router so the end result has gone through at least two WiFi transfers, each taxing connectivity by the asynchronous nature of WiFi. Usually it's not a real issue, but it is important to note that extenders are not the optimal solution to expand your wireless coverage, their strong point is convenience.

One thing to check before buying anything is to check the location of your wireless router. If it's sitting on a floor in between two metal file cabinets the signal it puts out is hampered quite a bit. If it can be relocated to a central area, higher up so its antenna can broadcast a stronger signal that would be much better.

If your router can't be moved, an option would be to add another wireless router to your LAN, connected to your primary router via an Ethernet cable (using LAN to LAN ports, not any WAN port). Turn off all routing functionality in the second router so it's basically just a wireless access point, it's important to only have one gateway (your primary router) in your LAN. Of course depending on your living situation it might not be convenient to run an Ethernet cable through several rooms so in that case, than yes, something like adding an extender is something to consider.

Reactions: psionandy and Bg260
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones