• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WTH..the Tegra2 version of Asphalt runs better on Galaxy S than the Galaxy S version!

shaolin95

Sep 3, 2010
Ok so here is the story.
At some point during the Asphalt 5 upgrades Gameloft messed up the Galaxy S version.
From what I have read the went from hardware support to CPU based thus performance took a it.
Asphalt 6 is the same story....so guess what., I found a version Asphalt 6 compatible with Tegra 2. Uninstalled my Asphalt 6 (the one I paid for) and installed this Tegra one. Amazing...runs as smooth as a Tegra 2 version I saw in you tube!
So what in the world did Gameloft did to their Galaxy S racing game engine? :mad:

Reactions: BrianFX
Ever since I started using ChainFire3D I wondered about doing this. I'm running the LG Optimus 2X version of Asphalt 6 on my Galaxy S utilizing the Nvidia plugin. I'm just downloading it now and will see how it runs.

I had found that running 2.3 offered better performance and then with ChainFire3D it was even better with ChainFire3D driver installed. But hopefully this is even better.

Upvote 0
I'm completely not surprised by this. I tried at least 8 different versions of Asphalt 5 on my SGS (Epic 4G). It turns out the oldest version available to test (3.0.8), is by far the smoothest, by a very noticeable margin.

I tried Asphalt 6 as soon as it came out, and was unsurprised by the choppy laggy mess that it is on the SGS. Really wish Gameloft would get their act together, the SGS family has only sold how many million phones?

Have yet to get my feet wet with ChainFire3D, but thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to give the Tegra2 edition of Asphalt 6 a try.

Upvote 0
I actually contacted Gameloft...one guy that does videos on youtube and he is interested to see this but the last time I got with their tech support I got some nonsense BS reply. This time I am going to not only tell but I am trying to get some video footage that shows both. If only I were better at doing side by side stuff lol
I mean is just ridiculous that you for example download Asphalt 5 demo and is perfectly smooth yet get the full version as is all crappy.
When I saw Asphalt 6 running , the tegra version on my phone I was floored! So smooth like we all know the PowerVr can do.

I fully agree with this making no sense. The Galaxy S has sold millions so you would expect devs to pay more attention to maximize it instead of new phones barely making it to the market.

Upvote 0
I'm now running the version Shaoilin95 is running, and can confirm it's night & day smoother than the market version, and fully playable.

What I can't confirm is whether it's truly Tegra2-based, as it doesn't require ChainFire3D at all..

I earlier tried what was purportedly also the Tegra2 version, and got the same crash after splash screen that everyone else here reported (with and without ChainFire3D running).

Can't believe Gameloft can't get their act together on Hummingbird, how many million SGS & SGS II have been sold?

Reactions: shaolin95
Upvote 0
I also tried the version shaolin mentioned and it is definitely A LOT smoother than the version I have on the market previously.

I am going to try installing from the market again and see what happened.
Could it be some market arent updated with the latest ver?
I am using the Canada's android market.

Upvote 0
Ooops, hold the phone. My old eyes didn't see that there are actually 2 versions of Asphalt 6 installed on my phone now, different icons. The reinstall didn't overwrite as I thought it would.

The latest market version is requesting 516MB of re-downloaded files. Reports say it's smooth on Galaxy too, I'll find out soon and report back.

Upvote 0
Ok, cleared that confusion up.

The latest market version (1.0.4) appears to run a tiny bit smoother than when the game was first released (barely noticeable, perhaps the same, I haven't played Asphalt 6 since launch b/c of how slow it was on our phones).

The version that Shaolin95 brought to our attention (3.1.2) runs dramatically smoother and is by far the fastest I've yet tried of all Asphalt 6 versions.

I'm not sure why the version numbers differ so dramatically, nor why the 3.1.2 version isn't the one shown in the SGS Android market.

Continue prepping that comparison video to send to Gameloft. ;)

Reactions: shaolin95
Upvote 0
Found a guy making similar comments about it:
Asphalt 6 HD and Samsung Galaxy S i9000
He claims that 3.1.2 is for Motorola...and that it has better IQ, antialiasing and better performance...
Oh that's right, 3.1.2 is indeed the Motorola version.

I didn't notice any image changes, then again, I didn't even notice two of the same icons installed! :eek: The game looks fantastic (and finally plays fantastic!).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones