• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Xperia Play officially announced for Verizon, preorder May 19th!

dewalist

Android Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2009
Connecticut
FINALLY!! :)

Verizon Wireless will release the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play powered by Android 2.3 Gingerbread next week.

Verizon Wireless and Sony Ericsson today announced the official release date for the upcoming Sony Ericsson Xperia Play. The Android 2.3 Gingerbread smartphone will be available for pre-order online beginning May 19, and in stores on May 26 for $200 with a new two-year contract. The Xperia Play requires a Nationwide Talk plan and a smartphone data package.

The Sony Ericsson Xperia Play will come pre-loaded with seven game titles, including Madden NFL (EA Sports), Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior (Digital Legends), Asphalt 6: Adrenaline (Gameloft), The Sims 3 (EA), Star Battalion (Gameloft), Crash Bandicoot (Sony Playstation) and Tetris.

More than 50 game titles will be available for download via V Cast Apps at launch. Game developers who are interested in offering games for the Xperia Play are encouraged to visit Verizon's Xperia Play developer page.

The Xperia Play's signature feature is a slide-out game pad that reveals a directional keypad, dual analog touch joystick, two shoulder buttons and the four iconic PlayStation symbol keys: circle, X, square and triangle.

Key Xperia Play specs include a second-generation 1GHz Snapdragon processor with Adreno 205 GPU, 4-inch multi-touch display, 5-megapixel rear-facing camera and VGA front-facing camera. The smartphone supports Google Mobile services such as Gmail, YouTube, Google Talk, Google Search and Google Maps. Android Market offers access to more than 200,000 downloadable apps, games and widgets.
Verizon Wireless Officially Launches Xperia Play Next Week

Better late than never. Was hoping less than $199.

Really? I was hoping FOR $199. I thought the combination of Sony and Verizon would try to charge us $250 because it is a gaming/phone hybrid. $199 is the price for their current high-end 4G phones, and you're trading their extra power and speed for gaming capabilities...

Upvote 0
I'm taking my Droid charge back and getting my 100 bucks back minus the restock fee lol

If you don't mind me asking, what was wrong with the Charge? It's one of the new shiny objects on the block, all 4G and whatnot - I'm curious if the gaming capabilities outweighed those other advances, or if it was something else...

Upvote 0
If you don't mind me asking, what was wrong with the Charge? It's one of the new shiny objects on the block, all 4G and whatnot - I'm curious if the gaming capabilities outweighed those other advances, or if it was something else...

LOL idk if I can give you a good answer.

For me:
I have a sickness lol. I tend to have to have ANYTHING and Everything new :) Verizon and other phone companies make a lot of dinero off of me.

Droid Charge is an EXCELLENT phone and one of my favorites(i've owned like 25 plus Android Phones in the past 2 years either buying or craigslist trading)

I have no major complaints about the phone and I may wind up keeping it if I play with the Xperia and I don't like it.

4g is great but a gimmick to me
but this Screen is Amazing, the Camera is AMAZING and the Phone is pretty fast.

I've just been interested in the play for the past 3 or so months and I am starting to get into gaming and this phone seems great :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones