• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

xScope, a multitouch pinch zoom browser

Petty annoyance:

I have a custom notification bar that is black with white writing.

This makes a lot of text in the system white by default.

The xScope menu next to the browser address bar is light blue, and themes don't seem to modify this menu - so I have a light blue menu with white text. Seems silly but when you access the menu frequently...

Is there a way to change that menu color? I don't like that it's light blue anyway, since I have themed my phone to be mostly light text on dark backgrounds (easier on the eyes in most cases).

Upvote 0
Do you really belongs to the xScope team? I was just wondering if it's possible to use 3d hardware acceleration for graphics, like safari on the iPhone - or like does LauncherPro on Android. Can you do this? Please, PLEASE DO IT. I'm tired of slow scrolling :( and my htc legend has got a GPU that sleeps 95% of the time :(

This. Hardware acceleration, pretty please. I know my N1's Snapdragon doesn't have a fantastic GPU, but better it be used than not at all.

Regardless, it's a pretty great browser. I ditched Dolphin HD for this and the UI's both more aesthetically appealing and less laggy. Major props to the developers.

Upvote 0
I'm probably the only one but I cannot seem to figure out how to set a homepage with this browser. If I wanted http://androidforums.com to be my homepage, how would i go about doing that.

No, the "Do you know?" section on the browser about setting homepages doesn't help me a bit.

In the icon left of the site url on the browser should say "set homepage".

Upvote 0
I have been using the xScope Browser for a while now and it is the best I have found yet.

Every other Browser I had to uninstall

Screenshot:

025u

Upvote 0
This. Hardware acceleration, pretty please. I know my N1's Snapdragon doesn't have a fantastic GPU, but better it be used than not at all.

Smoothness seems to be unimportant for the majority of android developers. Where iphone renders graphics by using a dedicated chip, we all have our expensive phones doing it completely via software. Without a reason. Not so great...

Upvote 0
It would be even better with hardware acceleration. And even with a 1GHz snapdragon it's not smooth as my old and discontinued ipod touch 2g, or an iphone4 if you want a comparison with similar resolutions. I currently own an htc legend and i was owner of a nexus with 2.2 too so I tried on it. Plus, there are smaller devices with slower cpus where the browser runs slow and the scrolling is choppy (i.e. the htc legend), and where it could run very fast with acceleration. But unfortunately seems that no one is able to do what the apple engineers done years ago

ps. I don't understand the usefullness of your screenshot

Upvote 0
It would be even better with hardware acceleration. And even with a 1GHz snapdragon it's not smooth as my old and discontinued ipod touch 2g, or an iphone4 if you want a comparison with similar resolutions. I currently own an htc legend and i was owner of a nexus with 2.2 too so I tried on it. Plus, there are smaller devices with slower cpus where the browser runs slow and the scrolling is choppy (i.e. the htc legend), and where it could run very fast with acceleration. But unfortunately seems that no one is able to do what the apple engineers done years ago

ps. I don't understand the usefullness of your screenshot
empirical validation of CPU speed and ability to set custom CPU speeds utilizing SetCPU.

I wasn't happy with any of the iPhones including but not limited to the iPhone4, once you go Android you never go back.

Upvote 0
Really liking Version 6 .. Thanks for all the hard work! in the next release, can you option the ability to add the Favorites/bookmarks shortcut to the main list of icons so a extra step isn't needed (instead of hitting the down arrow first then favorites)? Just seems to be a bitmore efficient that way is all for me.

Upvote 0
Got the new version and it force closes all the time. I submitted a report to you, on an evo.

Need to uninstall the old version first, I have an EVO and not one force close after 2+ hrs of use. I think the instructions maybe should emphasize this more. Just copy bookmarks to SDCard, then uninstall, reinstall, and import bookmarks via HTML ...

Upvote 0
Need to uninstall the old version first, I have an EVO and not one force close after 2+ hrs of use. I think the instructions maybe should emphasize this more. Just copy bookmarks to SDCard, then uninstall, reinstall, and import bookmarks via HTML ...

I'm also in the Force Close hell. How do I copy the bookmarks? Where are they? I can't get back into Xscope so I need to find them with my file manager.

Edit: Never mind. Titanium Backup to the rescue!

Upvote 0
Some thoughts:

-First off, this blows away the previous version of xScope. The amount of polish is great and every aspect has been well thought out. The UI is simple and nice looking, the animations are simple, etc. My biggest complaint of previous versions was how it looked, but this is good.
-The tabs are great and the animation is smooth. Getting rid of the tabs (or having it as an option to the user) is great.

Some things I'd like changed:
-When you click a text field can you have the browser scroll to put it at the top? If I click a text field at the bottom right now, my keyboard pops up over it and I cant see what I'm typing unless I manually scroll the page down
-When pinching to zoom in, a link will get clicked if there are a lot on the page I'm zooming in on, especially on forums. Can you make it so when you are initiating that action you do not click a link without lifting up a finger? I don't know how to explain it, but I don't have this issue on my stock browser.
-Can I change the default download location?
-Can you make it have a different UI based on the orientation of the screen? As it stands now, the UI when in landscape takes up way too much space, and I think you could put the menu options and the URL bar in the same line possibly. But that's just being picky.
-I'm still not the biggest fan of the bookmark system. I feel like everything else got a nice facelift and this was left behind. Can you add some elements to make this "pretty"? I wish it was integrated into the browser more than just looking like a webpage if that makes sense.

Overall this is great, and its finally a browser that strikes the perfect balance of form and function.

Upvote 0
Man, reading the newest comments in the market are hammering this app because they all (like me) didn't uninstall the old version first.

Really big blunder by trying to make people update it onto the existing version instead of making it two completely separate programs. I understand why you did it (to get the word out), but its blowing up in your face right now and its a shame.

People are making a huge deal about the trial version watermark too. That is pretty comical to me.

Upvote 0
Wow I read some too. You are absolutely making right observations here. So polarizing.

I can't leave my existing paid users and then make another app. I am committed. I am definitely expecting all those frustrations and angers. I wish I could vent my angers too but at the end, I remind myself that I am 40 years old and I'd better spent my limited time wisely on issue.

By the way, the old paid version is giving free at xScope.net.

Man, reading the newest comments in the market are hammering this app because they all (like me) didn't uninstall the old version first.

Really big blunder by trying to make people update it onto the existing version instead of making it two completely separate programs. I understand why you did it (to get the word out), but its blowing up in your face right now and its a shame.

People are making a huge deal about the trial version watermark too. That is pretty comical to me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones