• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ye Olde Nexus S display problems

RobbieK

Lurker
Hi folks, this is my first post, so Hi! My trusty old Nexus S (I9020) has been working wonderfully well for the past couple of years, and now the contract is up in 2 months, the phone decides to play silly buggers. Last week the phone downloaded and installed the latest firmware update, I believe is Jelly Bean. I had no problems initially, but gradually the phone got sluggish and slow over the course of a few days. Today I bring the phone to life and noticed the screen was way brighter, not just that, but as if the contrast has been altered and the image render is atrocious. Kind of like your ZX Spectrum 48k, or low end gif image. You know what I mean? All blocky, but not really pixelated.
My gallery was pretty full, so thought memory resources were a bit low, so cleared out all my gallery and did a reboot. Same problem. So backed up contacts etc and done a hard reset from the main OS. It all started up fine and I reinstalled my google account, but the brightness prob was still there. So I turned off and tried to do the power button vol down recovery. All I get is little android guy laying down with his belly open and a red triangle with an exclamation mark. So battery out and restart. I installed a screen filter app, and that just made the problem worse.
The phone appears to work as per normal, and images taken from the camera are not affected. However having a nice crisp and sharp display for 18 months to suddenly change to almost GameBoy style display is severely disappointing. I was all geared up for my next phone to be an android, but this is putting me off! Sorry it's long winded, but I needed to get the details in. And hopefully someone has heard of this before. Many thanks :D

I have the same phone - but it's rooted. I did have a screen problem almost similar to yours, twice. I left the phone in the holster, attached to pants pocket. I think the phone overheated. Or the screen stayed on from pressure. One time the cat slept on the pants. She didn't notice a big bump under her. Memory was down to 70%. The second time - I did the same, but the cat didn't sleep on the pants. I think any pressure on the screen keeps it on. I've been careful not to leave the phone in the holster overnight, and haven't seen that screen since. I had to do a battery pull to correct.

I was running CM7 which is like Gingerbread at the time. I've updated to CM9 and have been careful about where the phone is at night. Haven't seen that funky screen for a while. Don't want to see it.

Maybe someone can tell you how to get rid of the update and go back.

It must have something to do with pressure on the screen. It happened on the current iteration of the phone. I left it in the holster all night by mistake. The holster was horizontal, not vertical as would be carried. So just the weight of jeans added to the holster was enough to fudge the display.

Is not battery. Battery has run down much lower and no screen issue. It is pressure on the screen.

Back
Top Bottom