• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Youtube app keeps launching itself/recent increase in power consumption

Hi,

Recently I've been noticing that 'Active Apps' shows something running and when I check I find it's the Youtube app. I keep force-stopping it and then going into App Manager and disabling it but it keeps reappearing and launching even though I haven't used it - I haven't opened any email or other links to Youtube files. This seems to happen every time there's a round of updates.

I'm currently trying to find the reason for a sudden increase in battery consumption in standby - more than I would expect from normal battery deterioration - and this may be one possible culprit although I don't think it's the only one. My battery is losing over 20% in about 14 hours even when it's in standby and in range of a wi-fi hotspot for the whole time.

I will admit that I have all power-saving features turned off but that's always been the case and the significant increase in consumption is very recent. I'm also running Avast anti-virus but, again, that hasn't changed unless a recent update has made it more power-hungry.

The phone is a Samsung S5 running Android 6.0.1. With the exception of the Avast anti-virus and DuckDuckGo search engine I have only the standard suite of apps that came with the phone which was bought sim-free.

Is there any way to find out why Youtube keeps popping up and what might be sapping the power? I don't really want to go down the route of rooting it as I'm not savvy enough to be confident of not bricking it.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones