• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

kiddk1

Android Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2009
MI
i found and installed the z4 apk. my phone rebooted as the z4 was attempting to activate (temporary root) when it rebooted I could not find the app in my menu to activate, when I try to open the wireless tether app it says my kernel does not support this, I tried to reinstall the z4 apk it went thru the process and said app not installed. thanks

edit: I removed the battery and rebooted now I have the zp app icon and it says temp root until next reboot. I downloaded wireless tether for root by muller lemons, buxton but when I run it it says "unable to start tethering is your device rooted" am I using the right tether app?

Upvote 0
edit: I removed the battery and rebooted now I have the zp app icon and it says temp root until next reboot. I downloaded wireless tether for root by muller lemons, buxton but when I run it it says "unable to start tethering is your device rooted" am I using the right tether app?
that is the one i am using, and have not had a problem, i have not gotten any error messeges. sorry you are having a rough time... mnie just worked... weird...

Upvote 0
kiddk1 - I had the same problem at first. I gave up, the phone had been rebooted a few times, and a few days later I tried again and everything worked perfectly. After running z4, did you download the superuser app? I'm not sure if you need to install that before or after rooting, but this last time I tried to root, it was already installed, maybe that made the difference? I don't know, I'm just throwing out my experiences hoping that one will click with you.

Reactions: kiddk1
Upvote 0
thanks maybe I will give it another shot, superuser is in my app list but I dont ever rememeber seeing it, I got a prompt that an update is available but it fails when I try to use the automatically install option.

also what is the wireless tether app that you guys are using, is it the one I mentioned above? "wireless tether for root by muller lemons, buxton "

Upvote 0
Whoa, nellie!

Trading of apks either by public post or via PM is against our anti-copyright violations policy. If this is an XDA developer apk, then it's best downloaded from the XDA dev as the trusted source.

Instead of this sort of action, I would first recommend that you both go into settings and under About phone, Software information, copy here your kernel identification.

Sprint did lock out tethering by a change in the Evo's kernel, hence the need there for a permanent root and kernel replacement to get that feature to work, early on.

If you two have different kernel versions, then it's already happened.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones