• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ZTE MAX to get 4.4 Kit Kat update in 2014!

Slickyy

Jul 22, 2013
Confirmed by ZTE today that the Boost MAX will get the Kit Kat Update this year! No official date just yet, but we will have more news probably before the end of this quarter. Currently running 4.1.2, going to 4.4 will be a massive jump, especially for users who bought this phone with the intention of using Google Now and all of it's newer features.

More news on this can be found at Cnet. http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6452_7...-confirmed-for-android-kitkat-update-in-2014/

Personally I'm really glad to hear this. I have to deal with Sprint and Sprint Prepaid stores, and this is just an awesome kind of thing to see. ZTE is finally making the right steps with one of their phones. Hopefully this will only carry some weight with it, and bring 4.3 or 4.4 to the Warp 4G as well. Currently in some areas the Boost MAX can be bought in stores for $275, along with a $35 a month for 6 months promotion with a new activation. While the Warp 4G can be bought for $125 for a current promotion and is also included in the LTE promotion of $35 a month for 6 months.

Well, for the past month I have exchanged emails with ZTE & Boost/Sprint. Neither of them know nothing of an update that was promised. I really hope this is a mistake because that was one of several selling points used. I'm so tired of big companies running over us little working people.

Later..
BliTzer 😡😞👎

Upvote 0
Well, for the past month I have exchanged emails with ZTE & Boost/Sprint. Neither of them know nothing of an update that was promised. I really hope this is a mistake because that was one of several selling points used. I'm so tired of big companies running over us little working people.

Later..
BliTzer 😡😞👎
We reps who pay attention to the beat we get every two weeks will often tell us of updates coming like the km on icon or warp

Upvote 0
It was a big download. something like 241mb (something like I think???). My wife actually thought something was wrong with her phone. Not being techie she didn't know what was going on. KitKat isn't a big change from Jellybean on the surface but their are differences with menus and such. Hope all works well with the phone. My warp sinc came with KitKat as did the Sharp that I didn't care for.

Upvote 0
It was a big download. something like 241mb (something like I think???). My wife actually thought something was wrong with her phone. Not being techie she didn't know what was going on. KitKat isn't a big change from Jellybean on the surface but their are differences with menus and such. Hope all works well with the phone. My warp sinc came with KitKat as did the Sharp that I didn't care for.
That's awesome!
Yeah I found on several forums now, where updates started as early as Dec 4th, or somewhere around then.
Hey Ritter let us know how the max does on the update. Sluggish or quicker. I've read couple of posts where they thought the max was slightly quicker.
Thanx for letting us know man..
I went off on ZTE 3 weeks ago via emails & phone..

Later.. Blitzer..

Upvote 0
Ritter wasn't bs'n us, I received the kitkat update sometime early morning 2-3am. So far so good. I've noticed the font is bigger & few things have changed in the system menu. The Max does seem a little less sluggish to me specially web browsing & game play. Im going to benchmark sometime today or tonight & compare..
So far I'm happy.. About time zte/boost to get it right..

Peace..
Blitzer.. ✌

Upvote 0
That's awesome!
Yeah I found on several forums now, where updates started as early as Dec 4th, or somewhere around then.
Hey Ritter let us know how the max does on the update. Sluggish or quicker. I've read couple of posts where they thought the max was slightly quicker.

Later.. Blitzer..
I STILL havent received my update. How did you contact them?

Upvote 0
One thing I have found on KiTKaT 4.4 THAT I DO NOT LIKE, is the fact kitkat will Not let you save videos or large files to your exterior sdcard.. That totally is lame.. With kitkat, your device that you save to must be part of your phone, tablet or so on.. It can't be like a sdcard that goes into your device.. My save choices are, phone, sdcard0, sdcard01. So,
Until google fixes it choices are save to phones eternal memory.
Im guessing rooting will allow you to save to any & all means possible.
Im debating on rooting this ZTE.. For awhile there were not many custom roms for this device, maybe now there are.
Has anyone here rooted there boost max? If so, could I get you to share your choices & problems if any?
Thanks..
Blitzer... ✌

Upvote 0
Do you know how to check your phone update status?

Go to settings, then scroll down to about phone, then look for system updates, click on it. See what happens. If it doesn't work let me know, I know another way..
GL..
Blitzer...
*I currently am running Android version 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean, right?).*

I received notification for a software update on 1/26/15 & 1/30/2015, both times I tried to install it and it would quit downloading midway. More than once after each failed attempt I went to Settings > Phone updates > Software update & EVERYTIME it said my software is up to date, I even checked for a firmware update just to be safe. I'd go back & check my phone info & it's still running on v4.1.2.
This morning I decided to perform a factory reset, upon doing so it told me to update my software. So I attempted to do so, again. It took an hour & 45 minutes but downloaded & instructed me to Restart & Install. I click the button, it restarts my phone & shows the little Android guy with his red robot guts twisting about & gets to 27% & then he disappears. The screen goes black & then all this programming-type text starts coming up. I tried to catch an error code or anything but it went so fast that all I could catch was "installation aborted". Once it restarted I attempted to check for software update but it says I'm up to date with my software - still v4.1.2.
Do I absolutely need the update? My phone really has been lagging lately; slow, freezing often, crashing, etc.

Also, any info you receive about rooting your zte fill me in. I used iRoot on my last ZTE Max but didn't actually do anything with the unrooted system.

Upvote 0
*I currently am running Android version 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean, right?).*

I received notification for a software update on 1/26/15 & 1/30/2015, both times I tried to install it and it would quit downloading midway. More than once after each failed attempt I went to Settings > Phone updates > Software update & EVERYTIME it said my software is up to date, I even checked for a firmware update just to be safe. I'd go back & check my phone info & it's still running on v4.1.2.
This morning I decided to perform a factory reset, upon doing so it told me to update my software. So I attempted to do so, again. It took an hour & 45 minutes but downloaded & instructed me to Restart & Install. I click the button, it restarts my phone & shows the little Android guy with his red robot guts twisting about & gets to 27% & then he disappears. The screen goes black & then all this programming-type text starts coming up. I tried to catch an error code or anything but it went so fast that all I could catch was "installation aborted". Once it restarted I attempted to check for software update but it says I'm up to date with my software - still v4.1.2.
Do I absolutely need the update? My phone really has been lagging lately; slow, freezing often, crashing, etc.

Also, any info you receive about rooting your zte fill me in. I used iRoot on my last ZTE Max but didn't actually do anything with the unrooted system.

The newest update will say 4.4.2 kitkat. You have Jelly Bean.
You dont have to update.
If you do update make sure you use Wi-Fi connection on your phone or sometimes it will stop like yours did.
Kitkat is OK, my phone is running lil faster BUT once you update there is a sdcard limitation on KiTKaT that will not allow you to save large files to your exterior sdcard. You will have to save it to your phones internal device then move it to your larger sdcard which sucks IMHO.
Google will fix it but when is the question.
you if you update make sure you have a solid Wi-Fi connection.

As far as rooting, I hear framaroot is good for zte without using a PC.

GL... Blitzer ✌

Upvote 0
That's awesome!

Later.. Blitzer..
I just got the update yesterday works great

Upvote 0
Hi I recently flashed a ROM for my zte max because the boost mobile update messed up my phone.But when I flashed it the internal storage was 4gb or 8g can't remember but now it shrunk to 1gb I can't download nothing pls anyone help me with this problem.

Thanks
You need to start your own topic in the ZTE Max device section. You will get help from other zte max users this way.
[emoji217]

Reactions: mydian
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones